Argus C3 For Sale

Old November 30th 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Argus C3 For Sale

I'm going to start this by saying that I've been shooting products for
an auction house for the past six months--it's not great art and there's
a lot of time pressure but it puts food on the table and I shoot a wide
range of subjects, so it's educational.

That said, yesterday I was handed a camera case and contents to shoot.
The case looked brand new. I opened it and when I saw what was in it I
went "Wow". And as I unpacked it I repeated that several times, with
an occasional "Oh My God". This was the nicest Argus C3 I've ever seen,
with all three lenses, the 50mm Cintar, and the 35 and 100mm Sandmars.
The boss said "Take it if you want it." I thought about it--I have a
soft spot for the Argus--the first camera I ever saw was an Argus, the
first picture I ever shot was with an Argus, and that Argus was the one
my Dad carried through the Pacific during WWII (and he had the slides to
prove it--some %$%^&* stole them though, otherwise I'd have scanned and
posted them long ago), which I still have and which still works.

I thought about it, and reluctantly shot it and posted it for auction--
I'm not a camera collector--it would have ended up in a box gathering
dust.

So if anybody wants a really, really nice Argus, it's up right now
opening for 30 bucks with free shipping:
http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetai...aid=46255&lid=
11993613#topoflot

Old November 30th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:01:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

[...]

The unwrapped version:

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=5349&aid=46255&lid=11993613#top oflot

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old December 1st 11, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

J. Clarke wrote:

They're true interchangeable lenses. Each has a gear on it that meshes
with the focus control. Swapping them out is a bit of a process
http://jsurp.tripod.com/c3lens.htm.

The lenses hav a leica thread on them so you can use them in a standard
ENLARGER. They were not designed, nor do they work on a Leica type camera.

The idea was that compared to a Leica, they were a "poor man's" camera.
You could save a lot of money by using the same lens for the enlarger.

Remember that this was long before the days of Vivtar and Soligar and
Kodak still sold German lenses. :-)

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Old December 1st 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
William Hamblen

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 06:59:03 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

They're true interchangeable lenses. Each has a gear on it that meshes
with the focus control. Swapping them out is a bit of a process
http://jsurp.tripod.com/c3lens.htm.

The lenses hav a leica thread on them so you can use them in a standard
ENLARGER. They were not designed, nor do they work on a Leica type camera.

The idea was that compared to a Leica, they were a "poor man's" camera.
You could save a lot of money by using the same lens for the enlarger.

Remember that this was long before the days of Vivtar and Soligar and
Kodak still sold German lenses. :-)

Geoff.

C3 lenses are threaded, but it's not a Leica thread. I just measured
the thread on my Argus C3 Cintar lens to be about 33 mm. The thread
on a screw mount Leica is 39 mm. It is true that most enlarger lenses
have 39 mm threads.

Bud
Old December 2nd 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Robert Coe

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:29:10 -0500, "J. Clarke" wrote:
: In article , says...
:
: Sigh. My first camera was a C3; it was my dad's when he was in the
: service as well. I must've shot at least a hundred rolls of Pan-X
: through it before I graduated to something more modern. Carried it
: around on my bike rack everywhere I went.
:
: It got stolen, but I picked up a replacement, plus the flash unit;
: both in perfect condition.
:
: I didn't know it even had interchangable lenses. I assume they just
: screw onto the end of the built-in lens?
:
: It looks like it's in excellent shape.
:
: They're true interchangeable lenses. Each has a gear on it that meshes
: with the focus control. Swapping them out is a bit of a process
: http://jsurp.tripod.com/c3lens.htm.

At least you could take out the screw that held the idler gear without
disturbing the gear itself. On the C-2, the idler gear was inseparable from
the screw; taking it out to make removing the lens easier meant that you'd
lose your place if you weren't extremely careful.

But of course I had no additional lenses; I fiddled with the gear (on both my
father's C-2 and my C-3) only out of "idle" curiosity.

I was a 3rd-generation Argus owner. My grandfather had one too, although I
don't think I ever found out what model it was.

Bob
Old January 4th 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Frank Gosebruch

Am 01.12.2011 03:29, schrieb J. Clarke:

They're true interchangeable lenses. Each has a gear on it that meshes
with the focus control. Swapping them out is a bit of a process
http://jsurp.tripod.com/c3lens.htm.

Hey thanks J.!

About 25 years ago I purchased an Argus C3 almost for free because the
rangefinder was 'disadjusted'.
Now I know why!
And now my Argus' rangefinder is working, finally!
Unfortunately I don't need it anymore - well, I actually never used my
Argus seriously - I use my Mamiya RB and Nikon SP today.
Regards

--
Frank Gosebruch
Das Leben ist wie ein Videospiel - ein Scheiss-Spiel - aber die Grafik