Photoshopping school photos

Old November 30th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Photoshopping school photos

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost. The local
| photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
| eyes, and remove minor blemishes. Other, more extensive services are
| available. If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
| as $240. That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
| teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
|
| I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
| may be used.

I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
specific programs. When I bought PSP16
"Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
I never used it. It required me to register and I
had no interest in the functionality. But it's
one of a number of automated programs that
do what you're talking about. The difference
with PS is that these programs don't just provide
tools. They provide "wizards".

Face Filter describes functions like so:

Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
blemish removal.

Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.

Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
morhing to create a desired expression".

I'd guess that the school photographers are
using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
similar looking person. On the other hand, like
plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
personal character is lost and that's most of
what makes someone interesting.

Old November 30th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Tony Cooper" wrote

| Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost. The local
| photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
| eyes, and remove minor blemishes. Other, more extensive services are
| available. If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
| as $240. That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
| teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
|
| I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
| may be used.

I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
specific programs. When I bought PSP16
"Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
I never used it. It required me to register and I
had no interest in the functionality. But it's
one of a number of automated programs that
do what you're talking about. The difference
with PS is that these programs don't just provide
tools. They provide "wizards".

Face Filter describes functions like so:

Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
blemish removal.

Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.

Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
morhing to create a desired expression".

I'd guess that the school photographers are
using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
similar looking person. On the other hand, like
plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
personal character is lost and that's most of
what makes someone interesting.

It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.
Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

--
PeterN
Old November 30th 17, 06:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-11-30 04:28, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 21:58:17 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Tony Cooper" wrote

| Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost. The local
| photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
| eyes, and remove minor blemishes. Other, more extensive services are
| available. If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
| as $240. That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
| teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
|
| I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
| may be used.

I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
specific programs. When I bought PSP16
"Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
I never used it. It required me to register and I
had no interest in the functionality. But it's
one of a number of automated programs that
do what you're talking about. The difference
with PS is that these programs don't just provide
tools. They provide "wizards".

Face Filter describes functions like so:

Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
blemish removal.

Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.

Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
morhing to create a desired expression".

I'd guess that the school photographers are
using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
similar looking person. On the other hand, like
plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
personal character is lost and that's most of
what makes someone interesting.

It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.

It came through to me as email.

Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

I don't object to photographers making money, but I do see the
practice as somewhat objectionable. The message it gives to the kids
is that their appearance is of paramount importance to their parents.
You're teeth aren't brilliantly white in a photo? You don't live up
to my expectations. You're parents didn't pay to have that gap where
the baby tooth came out filled in with a fake tooth? They must not
love you.

When the demand for physical perfection starts that early in life it
can have later repercussions.

If you alter the contents of a photo so that it don't reflect a
reasonable normal perception of reality then it's not a photograph
anymore. It's a collage! Removing blemishes like acne and such are doing
that. Removing dust bunnies stuck on the sensor is not.

--
teleportation kills
Old November 30th 17, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-11-30 06:42, Tony Cooper wrote:
Admission of error in writing "you're" instead of "your" in the above.

Sandman would have been soooo pleased...
--
teleportation kills
Old November 30th 17, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-11-30 12:01, Whisky-dave wrote:

On 2017-11-30 06:42, Tony Cooper wrote:
Admission of error in writing "you're" instead of "your" in the above.

Sandman would have been soooo pleased...

Some of us have no qualms about acknowledging and admitting to having
made an error. some don't.

Some of us can work these things out for oursleves and don't get too flustered by such and can understand that some can think faster than they can type and may well not notice teh errors. :-) while other those that thibnk they are cleverer won;t be able to work out what the fukc the word is meant to be.

But it's always worth pointing out the amusing ones.

Some typos makes good puns. You Sir though, are suspected to have that
missing Enigma (TM) by your desk scrambling your masages...
--
teleportation kills
Old November 30th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
| In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
| commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
| to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
| images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

Sure. Though I was not aware that such things
were being done at the level of school photos.

I was only pointing out that this seems to be
neither the realm of the photographer nor of the
graphic artist. Like "fixing redeye", it's become a
one-click operation. I imagine publishing companies
probably have very advanced stuff to do it, so
that only one click give a movie star hips,
bright blue eyes, and air-brushed skin, while
thinning her chin to "feminize", maybe reshaping
her nose, etc. The program I got for free with PSP
claims to do most of that. I can hardly imagine
what Cosmo must use.

Old November 30th 17, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/30/2017 11:43 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip

I am of the school that says that typos in newsgroup messages should
only be noted if the response is a pun or a form of word play.

Or, alter the meaning and/or create an ambiguity.

--
PeterN
Old November 30th 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Tony Cooper" wrote

| Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost. The local
| photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
| eyes, and remove minor blemishes. Other, more extensive services are
| available. If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
| as $240. That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
| teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
|
| I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
| may be used.

I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
specific programs. When I bought PSP16
"Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
I never used it. It required me to register and I
had no interest in the functionality. But it's
one of a number of automated programs that
do what you're talking about. The difference
with PS is that these programs don't just provide
tools. They provide "wizards".

Face Filter describes functions like so:

Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
blemish removal.

Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.

Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
morhing to create a desired expression".

I'd guess that the school photographers are
using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
similar looking person. On the other hand, like
plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
personal character is lost and that's most of
what makes someone interesting.

It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.

It came through to me as email.

Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

I don't object to photographers making money, but I do see the
practice as somewhat objectionable. The message it gives to the kids
is that their appearance is of paramount importance to their parents.
You're teeth aren't brilliantly white in a photo? You don't live up
to my expectations. You're parents didn't pay to have that gap where
the baby tooth came out filled in with a fake tooth? They must not
love you.

When the demand for physical perfection starts that early in life it
can have later repercussions.

That is our society. There are a lot of kids running around with braces,
a lessor number get nose jobs, females, who can afford it get; face and
body lifts; including, but not limited to thigh reduction, breast
enlargement; breast reduction, etc. Doing this photographically is a lot
less intrusive, reversible, and expensive. And as I said earlier,
retouching of portraits and other images, is common practice.

As a practical matter if two people with equal qualifications are
seeking a job, one is pimply faced and obese, with buck teeth, and the
other could be a model for Myron, There is little doubt in my mind that
the Myron model would get first dibs. I am not saying that is morally
right, I am just saying that is how things are.
--
PeterN