Windows 10. Horrible!

Old November 25th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Windows 10. Horrible!

"nospam" wrote

| Sounds like low expectations: "I love my new
| car. There are minor glitches, like the fact that
| it refuses to go anywhere without first visiting
| the dealership for a salespitch, but aside from
| that it's great!" ...."Well, I have to give them
| personal information or it won't start. But aside
| from that it's great!".... "Well, it took some time
| to figure out how to remove the growing number
| of ads showing up on the dashboard.
|
| what ads? i've yet to see a single ad in win10.

I rest my case. It's the slow-boiling frog approach.
You don't even notice. You probably won't see 1-minute
videos for cars any time soon, but look at typical
Start Menu and tiles:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/351216...-in-windows-10

"Get Office" ads, Candy Crush game ads, ads to buy
movies, ads for X-Box and other Microsoft products.
For Skype. For the MS Store. It's all ads. Probably
you can remove most or all of them. For now. If you
can and want to figure it out and do all that work. But
they are ads. Civilized operating systems don't have
ads on the Start Menu and desktop that you didn't
ask for.

It will progress gradually. Already it blurs the
line between Windows functionality (Edge, for example)
and online, for-pay items or software they want to
sell you. Eventually you'll be looking at car videos and
when someone points it out you'll say, "So what? I can
ask for any car ad I want!" At that point you've been
boiled and never even knew you were in the pan.

You're probably at more risk as an Apple fan because
you're used to a product that's designed to keep you
in their private AOL-style shopping venue.

Old November 25th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 11/24/2017 6:51 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"nospam" wrote

| Sounds like low expectations: "I love my new
| car. There are minor glitches, like the fact that
| it refuses to go anywhere without first visiting
| the dealership for a salespitch, but aside from
| that it's great!" ...."Well, I have to give them
| personal information or it won't start. But aside
| from that it's great!".... "Well, it took some time
| to figure out how to remove the growing number
| of ads showing up on the dashboard.
|
| what ads? i've yet to see a single ad in win10.

I rest my case. It's the slow-boiling frog approach.
You don't even notice. You probably won't see 1-minute
videos for cars any time soon, but look at typical
Start Menu and tiles:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/351216...-in-windows-10

"Get Office" ads, Candy Crush game ads, ads to buy
movies, ads for X-Box and other Microsoft products.
For Skype. For the MS Store. It's all ads. Probably
you can remove most or all of them. For now. If you
can and want to figure it out and do all that work. But
they are ads. Civilized operating systems don't have
ads on the Start Menu and desktop that you didn't
ask for.

It will progress gradually. Already it blurs the
line between Windows functionality (Edge, for example)
and online, for-pay items or software they want to
sell you. Eventually you'll be looking at car videos and
when someone points it out you'll say, "So what? I can
ask for any car ad I want!" At that point you've been
boiled and never even knew you were in the pan.

You're probably at more risk as an Apple fan because
you're used to a product that's designed to keep you
in their private AOL-style shopping venue.

I haven't been following this thread, just dropped in to
check on potentially interesting thread drift.
~
Oddly, I'm with nospam on the ads thing. Seems one of
the first things I did when I set up Win 10 was to turn off
all the tiles.
~
The big pain for me is that I have Win 10 on a machine
that I use infrequently. Seems just about every time I use
the machine it installs updates that take ages to install.
It took 10+ minutes to boot this afternoon because it
was updating/installing something; 10+ minutes with
that sick greenish-yellow screen with the spinning dots.
--
==
Later...
Old November 25th 17, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/24/2017 6:51 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"nospam" wrote

| Sounds like low expectations: "I love my new
| car. There are minor glitches, like the fact that
| it refuses to go anywhere without first visiting
| the dealership for a salespitch, but aside from
| that it's great!" ...."Well, I have to give them
| personal information or it won't start. But aside
| from that it's great!".... "Well, it took some time
| to figure out how to remove the growing number
| of ads showing up on the dashboard.
|
| what ads? i've yet to see a single ad in win10.

I rest my case. It's the slow-boiling frog approach.
You don't even notice. You probably won't see 1-minute
videos for cars any time soon, but look at typical
Start Menu and tiles:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/351216...-in-windows-10

"Get Office" ads, Candy Crush game ads, ads to buy
movies, ads for X-Box and other Microsoft products.
For Skype. For the MS Store. It's all ads. Probably
you can remove most or all of them. For now. If you
can and want to figure it out and do all that work. But
they are ads. Civilized operating systems don't have
ads on the Start Menu and desktop that you didn't
ask for.

It will progress gradually. Already it blurs the
line between Windows functionality (Edge, for example)
and online, for-pay items or software they want to
sell you. Eventually you'll be looking at car videos and
when someone points it out you'll say, "So what? I can
ask for any car ad I want!" At that point you've been
boiled and never even knew you were in the pan.

You're probably at more risk as an Apple fan because
you're used to a product that's designed to keep you
in their private AOL-style shopping venue.

Yeah! It seems every time I open iTunes on my Win10 machine, it tries to
take me to the store to buy something at the iTunes store.

Even worse, I want to try Aurora. I got a $10 dollar discount code
through a camera group. I wanted to see if I could do better. Do a
search Aurora HDR discount code. I stopped searching after the first few
led me directly to the Macphun site, with a message that no code was
needed. Yet Macphun honors the discount code. To my way of thinking
these other sites are practicing unethical marketing. i am not sure, but
I suspect that the only reason they do what they are doing, is they get
a commission. The sites I am referring to include such as "retail me
not," etc. If Macphun did not have a good reputation, that type of
marketing practice would make me wary of buying. If anyone thinks I went
too fr off topic, that's their problem.
End of mini rant.

--
PeterN
Old November 25th 17, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/24/2017 7:52 PM, Ron C wrote:

snip

I haven't been following this thread, just dropped in to
check on potentially interesting thread drift.
~
Oddly, I'm with nospam on the ads thing. Seems one of
the first things I did when I set up Win 10 was to turn off
all the tiles.
~
The big pain for me is that I have Win 10 on a machine
that I use infrequently. Seems just about every time I use
the machine it installs updates that take ages to install.
It took 10+ minutes to boot this afternoon because it
was updating/installing something; 10+ minutes with
that sick greenish-yellow screen with the spinning dots.

It's a rare occasion, that I agree with nospam. I agree with you too. My
purpose for computing is to get things done. Those freak-en ads are a
major distraction. I suspect there is a legal way of blocking them,

--
PeterN
Old November 25th 17, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 11/24/2017 8:14 PM, PeterN wrote:
[...]

If you really want to experience ad overload try an Amazon Fire.
My old tablet died and I recently got an Amazon Fire to replace it.
Seems all the built in apps are just an up-sell conduit to some
Amazon product or service.
Hell, I have wi-fi turned off and the start-up lock screen still shows
(apparently pre-loaded) ads.
~
I could go on... but enough on that for now...
--
==
Later...

Old November 25th 17, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Ron C" wrote

| Oddly, I'm with nospam on the ads thing. Seems one of
| the first things I did when I set up Win 10 was to turn off
| all the tiles.

Yes, you can sort of do that. And the Start Menu, too?
You clean that up? And lock screen ads? It's all mild now.
That was my point. They're getting you acclimated. They're
establishing a new norm. It's like Google reading your email.
That's outrageous that they claim to co-own your
email. But they're not pushy about it, and people have
acclimated. Nevertheless, the implications are very real.
A corporation owns and stores copies of your private
correspondence. In the case of Windows, it's alsdo not
free. If you didn't pay for Win10 then you did pay for the
version you upgraded from. But Microsoft are trying to
redefine the product; to get you comfortable with the
idea that you've bought an entertainment/shopping/
services device and that nothing that happens on it
belongs to you.
It's already gone a long way from where it used to be
when you have to deal with the ads at all. It's your computer.
They have no business infesting it with ads. The question
of whether it's a notrable hassle is beside the point. They
have no business accessing your computer in any way --
even for updates -- without your permission.

In '99 there was an episode where MS was caught
reading registration info from the Registry when people
visited Windows Update. People were outraged. MS
promised to stop. They've managed to radically shift
the paradigm since then.

| ~
| The big pain for me is that I have Win 10 on a machine
| that I use infrequently. Seems just about every time I use
| the machine it installs updates that take ages to install.

That's another aspect of the same thing. It's a kiosk
device on which you're meant to buy stuff and rent
services. They're moving slowly, but they are moving
very deliberately in that direction. Your car is now a
taxi you rent. Presto. Forced updates is another thing
they have no right to do and yet people are accepting it.
The non-enterprise customer base is literally the beta
test group for corporate customers.

I was visiting with a neice today who does web design.
She uses only Apple products, but her company is
using MS Azure web services, so she needed to install
Win10 in a VM on her Mac. Both her Start Menu and the
tiles are full of ads. And it's Pro version Win10. That's
like a sick joke -- a pro version of Windows with Candy
Crush ads on the desktop. And if she makes the tiles
visible they flash with a changing array of ads and
pseudo-news.

Old November 25th 17, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| You're probably at more risk as an Apple fan because
| you're used to a product that's designed to keep you
| in their private AOL-style shopping venue.
|

| Yeah! It seems every time I open iTunes on my Win10 machine, it tries to
| take me to the store to buy something at the iTunes store.

Hard to sympathize with that. "Seems like every
time I hang around with my drug dealer I end up
losing money and getting an STD." Yep.

Old November 25th 17, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 24, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Snip

Even worse, I want to try Aurora. I got a $10 dollar discount code
through a camera group. I wanted to see if I could do better. Do a
search Aurora HDR discount code. I stopped searching after the first few
led me directly to the Macphun site, with a message that no code was
needed. Yet Macphun honors the discount code. To my way of thinking
these other sites are practicing unethical marketing. i am not sure, but
I suspect that the only reason they do what they are doing, is they get
a commission. The sites I am referring to include such as "retail me
not," etc. If Macphun did not have a good reputation, that type of
marketing practice would make me wary of buying. If anyone thinks I went
too fr off topic, that's their problem.
End of mini rant.

It is always best to go directly to the developer site, questionable
intermediates have been known to be problematic. Some previously trustworthy
cheap/free app sources have become vectors for malware. That said, not all
sites offering additional discounts are toxic, so one needs to be alert to
bad playe4rs among the sincere offers.

As for Aurora HDR, I think you will find it very suitable for some of your
HDR work. It also does a good job on single exposure tone mapping. They have
some interesting presets (some a bit over the top), a layered workflow with
local adjustment brushes, and very flexible adjustments.

With the local adjustment brush, you can apply a preset, or personal
adjustments to a specifice area of the image. You also have the ability to
create your own presets.

....and they have a good library of video tutorials.

Savageduck

Old November 25th 17, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/24/2017 8:53 PM, Ron C wrote:
[...]

You bring up an interesting question of overload. I will be having
dinner with a marketing expert, and ask about that.

Hell, I have wi-fi turned off and the start-up lock screen still shows
(apparently pre-loaded) ads.
~
I could go on... but enough on that for now...

I don't recall the year, but Bill Gates, referring to push ads, said, in
essence that the computer desktop is the most valuable real estate in
the world, and as its use increases, even more valuable.

--
PeterN
Old November 25th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 24, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

[...]

Interesting. I don’t have that sort of ad issue with my iPad Pro which I
use to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix, and other streaming content via my home
network. I am also an Amazon Prime subscriber with the various Amazon Prime
apps installed, along with the iOS version of Kindle, and with those I have
an ad free environment.

I have some free weather apps where the adds are persistent, but that is
about it.

Savageduck