CD-RW Burner

Old February 22nd 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default CD-RW Burner

Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to cost
me the earth??

Eddie

Old February 22nd 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:03:59 +0000 (UTC), "Eddie"
wrote:

Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to cost
me the earth??

Eddie

Are you kidding?
CD burners are commodity items. Like toasters.
Buy one with a good name (Plextor, TDK, Sony, BenQ...) and enjoy it.
If it costs over $50 (including shipping), you paid too much.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old February 22nd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Newegg.com has a Sony DVD burner for $56 on one-day sale. You will get lots
more back-up power with this than you will with CDs....but it burns them too
if you need to. For that amount you won't get much of the world....you
could get a bed in a motel for a night though.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

Old February 22nd 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Eddie" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to
cost me the earth??

You would be as well with a DVD rw.
CDrw is from £6.99 plus vat etc from www.ebuyer.co.uk
DVDrw is from £22.99 from the same place

Old February 22nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I got a MadDog 6in1 burns double layer DVDs too...for like 69 bucks and that
was 6+ months ago - got it at tigerdirect.com I think it even had a 10 buck
rebate.

Old February 22nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

....and Newegg.com has a NEC DVD burner for $39. You get the idea that CD
burners are not that special these days?

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

Old February 22nd 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Buying from the US would probably triple the price for him.
Judging by the OP's email address, I'd guess he is in the UK.

Old February 22nd 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Good point....and we cannot be sure that he can get the variety we get or
that competition drives prices down. It holds though that CDs are out and
DVD is in. If buying now I would buy double density DVD...but as I have DVD
now I will wait to upgrade until I can get something with a blue laser....a
couple of years at most.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

Old February 22nd 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Have a look at www.dabs.co.uk
--
Neil
Delete l to reply
Old February 22nd 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:15:23 -0000, "No Thanks" go@away wrote:

"Eddie" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to
cost me the earth??

You would be as well with a DVD rw.
CDrw is from £6.99 plus vat etc from www.ebuyer.co.uk
DVDrw is from £22.99 from the same place

Not quite - The CD-RW's are lumped in with CD-ROM, so the cheapest is
actually

£14.50 inc VAT

Not really a lot to choose between CD-RW drives, few tech sites bother
to test them any more.

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!