Physical storage of images

Old November 3rd 04, 12:11 AM
dperez@juno_nospam.com

Default Physical storage of images

OK, here's ANOTHER ugly topic...

I recently spent some time at the Rocky Mountain School of Photography. One of
the things we discussed was digital workflow. AND when not doing real stuff we
sometimes talked about HOW to organize images - both physically on the disk(s)
and CD(s) (or DVDs), and by catalog...

And we were unable to come to any definite conclusions...

So HOW are people PHYSICALLY storing their images?
I'm generally doing the following:
Upload a CF card to the hard drive into a directory of the date shot.
Do a pass in Photoshop using the file browser to throw out the appallingly bad
shots, rename the rest, and assign keywords. My rename is generally based on
subject and where shot such as
"woodpecker, red bellied, rocky mountain np DSCF4342.raf"
Export the cache
Write the entire directory and raw files to a CD
USUALLY I either move the contents to other directories or rename the directory
to whatever is in it...
repeat until all the cards are loaded...

My directory structure looks like:
Photos
birds
directory for each type of bird
flowers
directory for each type of flower
scenics
directory for different scenics such as clouds, streams, etc
people
directory for each person
events
directory for each event - vacation 2004, ice carnival, etc
still lifes
directory for each thing - crystal daffodil, red glass vase, etc,
places
directory for each place

its USUALLY pretty easy to figure out where to put an image 'cause it NORMALLY
has a most important subject. a birthday party for the grandkid usually goes in
the people grandkid name although it COULD be an event...

NOW, under each lowest level directory, its been recommended that there be an
"edit" directory for each image that's being worked on, and a "print" directory
that contains the individual files for printing different sizes of each image
and/or different papers.

Part of my problem is that I can't put, for example, all the bird images in a
sinle directory 'causeit'd take forever for Photoshop to open 'em. There may be
5 - 10 THOUSAND bird images. Same for flowers, and others... So, I continue to
make lower level directories so I can get them open in a reasonable amount of
time...

Needless to say, things are getting WORSE as I get more images... And there's a
lot of stuff that isn't even represented here yet 'cause I haven't had a chance
to get out and shoot it... Yet...
How are OTHER people organizing their images physically? Am I going to deep?
Too involved? Not enough? Ideas?

Old November 3rd 04, 12:30 AM
Aerticus

Well first of all congrats on the digi image course it seems to have
structured or influenced your thinking along the correct lines

Secondly, forgive me if this sounds a trifle bold, do not be alarmed by
going through a creative process of not (yet) knowing the answers

You really are on the right track - don't let uncertainties unsettle you

Thirdly, don't be surprised if your cataloging system evolves thru several
revisions - it is all part of a learning curve

Aerticus

news

Old November 3rd 04, 01:05 AM
secheese

I like your suggestions! I just may adopt something similar.

He whom God has touched will always be a being apart;
he is, whatever he may do, a stranger among men;
he is marked by a sign.
- Ernest Renan (1823-1892)
Old November 3rd 04, 01:49 AM
Alan Meyer

wrote in message
news
OK, here's ANOTHER ugly topic...

How are OTHER people organizing their images physically? Am I going to

deep?
Too involved? Not enough? Ideas?

Your approach is better than mine - which has a few
of the same ideas, but not as many and not as systematic.

Tangentially, what is the correct plural for "still life"?

Alan

Old November 3rd 04, 02:27 AM
Drifter

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:11:24 -0600, wrote:

---snip---
So HOW are people PHYSICALLY storing their images?

---Snip---
Keep in mind that I'm generally a photojournalist type so most of my
photos are groups that belong to the same event. Thus I have a folder
named "PHOTOS".
inside PHOTOS things are divided up as YEAR/EVENT NAME, so you might
have...
PHOTOS/2004/John's Birthday/RAW
PHOTOS/2004/Hike up the valley/RAW
PHOTOS/2004/Thanksgiving parade/RAW
and so on. I keep one set of files in the RAW folder as "digital
negatives" and don't alter them. I make a second copy in the folder
one step back (I.E. "John's Birthday" or whatever) and that is the set
I edit/alter.

The whole PHOTOS folder is also duplicated on an external HDD (my
backup copy of everything).

When the PHOTOS folder is roughly enough to fill a DVD, it gets
renamed from PHOTOS to ARCHIVE# on both the HDD and the External HDD,
then I burn it to a DVD.

I now make a new PHOTOS folder and start filling it/synching it with
the external HDD.

So in the end I wind up with the following...
PHOTOS-Duplicated on the External HDD
Archive#001-4.7GB Duplicated on the external HDD AND on a DVD
Archive#002-4.7GB Duplicated on the external HDD AND on a DVD
Archive#003-4.7GB Duplicated on the external HDD AND on a DVD
etc.

"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old November 3rd 04, 03:19 AM
Robert Nabors

Glad you asked. Makes me think about how I save and archive photos:

1. Make a yearly directory on a hard disk such as, Photos-2004, and use a laptop that burns RW-CD's if away from home overnight or for a longer period.

2. After shooting for the day or for an event:

(a) Transfer all photos from a camera card to the hard disk under a year directory named Photos 2004, with a sub directory such as:

Africa, 10 Mar 04 This directory might be changed to show inclusive dates, such as 10-15 March 04 if you stay in one location more than one day.

John's Wedding, 10 April 04

Macro flowers yard, 15 Nov 04, etc.

Don't name each photo, too time consuming.

(b) Review photos in a slide show, with software such as IrfanView that shows full screen photos, and delete unwanted photos on your hard disk.

(c) Archive each group of photos on a RW-CD by copying the directory to the RW-CD.

At the end of the year I check my CD's and hard disk to see if I've archived all photos I want to keep.

http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/naborsindex/

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Old November 3rd 04, 04:27 AM
Bob Allison

"Alan Meyer" wrote:

Tangentially, what is the correct plural for "still life"?

still life's (?)

--
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Bob
In Carmel, CA

Old November 3rd 04, 05:12 AM
Drifter

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:27:40 GMT, Bob Allison

"Alan Meyer" wrote:

Tangentially, what is the correct plural for "still life"?

still life's (?)

No, that would be possessive. It was the still life's frame (I.E. the
frame belonged to the still life)

The plural of Still Life is simply Still Lifes (no hyphen or
apostrophe)

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."