can i digitally colorize black and white photos?

Old June 30th 04, 02:52 AM
Mike Henley

Default can i digitally colorize black and white photos?

If i shoot on a black and white film, can i colorize the image after i
scan it like they seem to have done with those old black and white
movies?
Old June 30th 04, 04:37 AM
Mxsmanic

Mike Henley writes:

If i shoot on a black and white film, can i colorize the image after i
scan it like they seem to have done with those old black and white
movies?

Sure. But it essentially means coloring every frame by hand, and of
course you don't have the original colors, just the colors that you
decide to use.

Old June 30th 04, 04:47 AM
Sabineellen

Sure. But it essentially means coloring every frame by hand, and of
course you don't have the original colors, just the colors that you
decide to use.

are you suggesting they colored every frame from those movies by hand? i'm
almost sure i can vaguely remember something about them being digitally
colorized as part of their restoration. I mean there are now color version of
those Early 50s Hitchcock movies well before color cinema was used, and there's
the wizard of oz and many other black and white movies that were colorized.

I would've thought by now some software would be able to do it.

Old June 30th 04, 06:27 AM
Skip M

"Sabineellen" wrote in message

Sure. But it essentially means coloring every frame by hand, and of
course you don't have the original colors, just the colors that you
decide to use.

are you suggesting they colored every frame from those movies by hand? i'm
almost sure i can vaguely remember something about them being digitally
colorized as part of their restoration. I mean there are now color version

of
those Early 50s Hitchcock movies well before color cinema was used, and

there's
the wizard of oz and many other black and white movies that were

colorized.

I would've thought by now some software would be able to do it.

Just to point out that those Hitchcock movies came out well after the
introduction of color cinematic film. The color portions of The Wizard of
Oz were originally shot in Technicolor, they were not "colorized." There
were many films made in the '30s and '40s in color, (Gone With the Wind) but
it was an expensive process and b&w was used to keep costs down. By the
'50s, b&w was used to evoke a mood, too, film noir wouldn't have been the
same in color...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 30th 04, 07:14 AM
William Graham

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Mike Henley writes:

If i shoot on a black and white film, can i colorize the image after i
scan it like they seem to have done with those old black and white
movies?

Sure. But it essentially means coloring every frame by hand, and of
course you don't have the original colors, just the colors that you
decide to use.

Coloring B&W photos was a big thing before color photography was developed.
My mother used to color my dad's work (mostly portraits) back in the 30's.
He would print them extra thin for her to work with.....I sure wish I had a
few of them now.....

Old June 30th 04, 09:56 PM
Alan Browne

Mike Henley wrote:

If i shoot on a black and white film, can i colorize the image after i
scan it like they seem to have done with those old black and white
movies?

yes. (in PS) The process used in movies is more complex and
automated.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 30th 04, 11:14 PM
Sabineellen

yes. (in PS) The process used in movies is more complex and
automated.

How good would it be? would it be realistic?
Old July 1st 04, 09:16 PM
Gordon Moat

Sabineellen wrote:

Sure. But it essentially means coloring every frame by hand, and of
course you don't have the original colors, just the colors that you
decide to use.

are you suggesting they colored every frame from those movies by hand? i'm
almost sure i can vaguely remember something about them being digitally
colorized as part of their restoration. I mean there are now color version of
those Early 50s Hitchcock movies well before color cinema was used, and there's
the wizard of oz and many other black and white movies that were colorized.

I would've thought by now some software would be able to do it.

Check out the systems at http://www.davsys.com/. These start at about one
million, though the capabilities are really incredible. I have been fortunate
enough to see one of these in action, and learn a bit about how it works.

Just to get back to your original posting, it is easier to just generate your own
choices for colorizing. Obvious things like quadtone, tritone, or duotone usage in
PhotoShop, though that is limited. Using the painting tools, masks, and custom
channels, you could probably do a better job, though it would take longer.

A more fun approach might be hand colouring B/W photos. Generally, the matte
papers allow for easier adherence of the colours. You can buy photo painting
colours at many art stores. You could also use paints for oil painting, or
coloured pencils. This would be a more selective approach, though it can produce
very nice results, with some practice.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com
http://www.agstudiopro.com Coming Soon!

Old July 1st 04, 09:33 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Gordon Moat writes:

snip

i'm almost sure i can vaguely remember something about them being
digitally colorized as part of their restoration. I mean there are
now color version of those Early 50s Hitchcock movies well before
color cinema was used, and there's the wizard of oz and many other
black and white movies that were colorized.

The Wizard of Oz was shot in 3-strip Technicolor, as I recall, except
for the initial and closing sequences in Kansas, which were shot in
black and white for creative purposes. Anyway, no colorization was
needed. The great hue and cry, I believe, arose when Ted Turner
started to colorize various old MGM features, having bought the film
library when Kirk Kerkorian was gutting the company.

snip

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old July 2nd 04, 04:48 AM
Gordon Moat

"Stephen H. Westin" wrote:

Gordon Moat writes:

snip

i'm almost sure i can vaguely remember something about them being
digitally colorized as part of their restoration. I mean there are
now color version of those Early 50s Hitchcock movies well before
color cinema was used, and there's the wizard of oz and many other
black and white movies that were colorized.

The Wizard of Oz was shot in 3-strip Technicolor, as I recall, except
for the initial and closing sequences in Kansas, which were shot in
black and white for creative purposes. Anyway, no colorization was
needed. The great hue and cry, I believe, arose when Ted Turner
started to colorize various old MGM features, having bought the film
library when Kirk Kerkorian was gutting the company.

I think Ted Turner was one of the initial users of the colorization
computers, though not the only one. Another nice thing about the Da Vinci
system I mentioned, it that it works well for restoration of colour in
those early films. Unfortunately, it is a 4k system, so the supporting
hardware is very high end, and very expensive.