Black & White film

Old October 12th 03, 05:36 PM
Andrew A. Caruso

Default Black & White film

I'm planning a visit to New York City to take black & white landscape photos
and most likely after a snowfall. What I would like to know is which type of
black & white is best for doing this. Also, should I use a filter as well.
Any & all suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

Old October 12th 03, 05:49 PM
Colyn

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:36:11 GMT, "Andrew A. Caruso"
wrote:

I'm planning a visit to New York City to take black & white landscape photos
and most likely after a snowfall. What I would like to know is which type of
black & white is best for doing this. Also, should I use a filter as well.
Any & all suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

Kodak Technical Pan film is outstanding for this..

Also Ilfords FP-4 and HP-5 are excellent films..

Colyn Goodson
Ft. Worth, Texas

http://home.swbell.net/colyng

Updated with new photos
http://www.colyngoodson.com

625 and 675 mercury battery fix

http://www.colyngoodson.com/minolta.htm
http://www.colyngoodson.com/cameras.htm

Camera manuals

http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.htm

Old October 12th 03, 11:34 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Andrew A. Caruso" wrote in message v.net...
I'm planning a visit to New York City to take black & white landscape photos
and most likely after a snowfall. What I would like to know is which type of
black & white is best for doing this. Also, should I use a filter as well.
Any & all suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

We receive a lot of such questions without enough detail to give a
truly useful answer.

What film format and what camera are you using?

Any B&W film is more sensitive to blue than to the other colours, so a
yellow filter (or orange or even red) is generally used to correct
this.
Old October 13th 03, 02:38 AM
Andrew A. Caruso

I'm using a 35mm format film. I have two Pentax cameras. A Pentax ZX-10
which I use for everyday use. e.g. Family get together, vacation etc. The
other is the Pentax K1000. I use that for shooting Black & White. I also try
to experiment or should I say, try my hand at doing special effects. Double
exposure, meaning that I have a filter where I can double expose one frame
with the same person in it making it look like they have a twin. But my main
interest with the K1000 is to do B&W of landscapes, architecture, family
members etc. I hope that I did provide enough information this time Michael.

om...

Old October 13th 03, 03:37 AM
Francis A. Miniter

HI Andrew,

Given that you will be shooting after a snowfall, there will be a lot of
reflected brightness. So, a slow film is indicated, Technical Pan, for
instance, shot at an EI of 25. (The problem with a fast film is that
with all that brightness, you may find yourself squeezed for an adequate
shutter/aperture combination. ) Alternatively, Kodak T-Max 100 or
Ilford Delta 100, because of their straight line "curves", providing
actual increases in density in extreme highlights. The same cannot be
said for Plus-X.

If sky detail is important, then a yellow (Wratten No. 8) or deep yellow
(Wratten No. 15) or orange (Wratten No. 16) filter is indicated. Again,
considering the glare, the addition of a polarizing filter may be
advisable, depending on whether you want building windows to show
reflections or not. All of these over the UV filter, of course.

Francis A. Miniter

Andrew A. Caruso wrote:

I'm using a 35mm format film. I have two Pentax cameras. A Pentax ZX-10
which I use for everyday use. e.g. Family get together, vacation etc. The
other is the Pentax K1000. I use that for shooting Black & White. I also try
to experiment or should I say, try my hand at doing special effects. Double
exposure, meaning that I have a filter where I can double expose one frame
with the same person in it making it look like they have a twin. But my main
interest with the K1000 is to do B&W of landscapes, architecture, family
members etc. I hope that I did provide enough information this time Michael.

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
. com...

. cv.net...

Old October 13th 03, 02:34 PM
Michael Scarpitti

[...]

Do you have an enlarger or access to an one? Have you ever developed
film before? If not, I'd advise you simply to try some Ilford XP2
Super, and vary the exposures, try different filters etc. If so, let
me know what your experience is and I'll try to advise you further. No
'blanket' recommendations are possible.
Old October 13th 03, 03:06 PM
Robert D Feinman

I think you will find your scope for "landscapes" somewhat restricted in
NYC. Except at the sites along the Hudson and East rivers the grid of
streets restricts the view.
Another factor to consider is that the tall buildings mean that at
street level the sidewalks are in shade almost all of the time.
On a sunny day you will be shooting at 1/100 at f5.6 with 100 ISO film,
for example.
I suggest using a 400 speed film unless you are in a place where there
is lots of sun falling on snow.
Lastly, after a snowfall most streets in busy areas are shovelled out
quite quickly so only parks and the like have snow.
Central Park and Prospect Park both look nice in the snow (and in other
weather too!).

In article , andrewc3
@optonline.net says...

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com
Old October 13th 03, 09:30 PM
Jeff Zawrotny

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
snip

If sky detail is important, then a yellow (Wratten No. 8) or deep yellow
(Wratten No. 15) or orange (Wratten No. 16) filter is indicated. Again,
considering the glare, the addition of a polarizing filter may be
advisable, depending on whether you want building windows to show
reflections or not. All of these over the UV filter, of course.

Actually, the need for a UV filter is reduced or eliminated by using yellow
through red filters, and to some degree by a polarizing filter too.
Stacking filters (especially with a polarizer) often leads to vignetting,
and I'd avoid it.