Nikon D300 review

Old November 14th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,comp.dsp,aus.photo,alt.photography
[email protected]

Default Nikon D300 review

Key Features, pictures, prices...

http://digitalphotocameras.blogspot.com/

Old December 7th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format, alt.photography
[email protected]

On Nov 15, 6:04 am, No One wrote:
wrote:
Key Features, pictures, prices...

http://digitalphotocameras.blogspot.com/

Gee Wally, that's somereview. Lots of great info on field testing.
What all that take? 5 minutes?

I just got the D300, and I am amazed. It really is quite complex
though. If anyone needs help, I found a video showing some tips and
tricks to operating the D300. Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lhyUNapqs
Old December 7th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,alt.photography
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote in message
On Nov 15, 6:04 am, No One wrote:
wrote:
Key Features, pictures, prices...

http://digitalphotocameras.blogspot.com/

Gee Wally, that's somereview. Lots of great info on field testing.
What all that take? 5 minutes?

I just got the D300, and I am amazed. It really is quite complex
though. If anyone needs help, I found a video showing some tips and
tricks to operating the D300. Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lhyUNapqs

enlighten me, o wise one - how is it that you all find discussion of the
Nikon D300 relevent to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format? Is said format
4.25 x 6 , 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9? And doth it useth 620 or 120? I await with
keen eagerness your wise, lucid, and well reasoned explanation.

Old December 8th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,alt.photography
G.T.

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 15, 6:04 am, No One wrote:
wrote:
Key Features, pictures, prices...
http://digitalphotocameras.blogspot.com/
Gee Wally, that's somereview. Lots of great info on field testing.
What all that take? 5 minutes?

I just got the D300, and I am amazed. It really is quite complex
though. If anyone needs help, I found a video showing some tips and
tricks to operating the D300. Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lhyUNapqs

enlighten me, o wise one - how is it that you all find discussion of the
Nikon D300 relevent to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format? Is said format
4.25 x 6 , 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9? And doth it useth 620 or 120?

620 or typo? I'm a newbie to med format.

Greg
Old December 8th 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,alt.photography
Lawrence Akutagawa

"G.T." wrote in message
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 15, 6:04 am, No One wrote:
wrote:
Key Features, pictures, prices...
http://digitalphotocameras.blogspot.com/
Gee Wally, that's somereview. Lots of great info on field testing.
What all that take? 5 minutes?
I just got the D300, and I am amazed. It really is quite complex
though. If anyone needs help, I found a video showing some tips and
tricks to operating the D300. Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lhyUNapqs

enlighten me, o wise one - how is it that you all find discussion of the
Nikon D300 relevent to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format? Is said format
4.25 x 6 , 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9? And doth it useth 620 or 120?

620 or typo? I'm a newbie to med format.

From http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/format.htm
"120 film was introduced about 1902 and is still very popular today. 120
film is a black paper roll with a strip of film taped inside which is drawn
through your camera as you shoot. The paper has markings on the back so you
could advance the film by looking through a red window in the old days
before rapid wind levers. These markings were for 645 (16 shots) , 6 x 6 (12
shots) and 6 x 9 (8 shots) formats. The black paper lets you load the film
in daylight. To load a new roll of film you move the empty spool left from
the previous roll to the other position and put the new roll in its place.
You thread the roll onto the empty spool, wind the camera till the arrow on
the backing paper aligns with an index on the camera. Close the back and
wind till you get to frame one. Some cameras even have automatic indexing so
you don't need to fiddle with aligning arrows.

"In the 1950s a smaller spool was used for the same roll of film for
snapshot cameras called 620. 620 is no longer made, and you can respool 120
onto 620 spools."

I guess that the Nikon D300 gurus have gone mute or perhaps taken a vow of
silence because I don't see them tendering to us my requested explanation.

Old December 8th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,alt.photography
Lobby Dosser

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote:

"G.T." wrote in message
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
wrote in message

m...

From http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/format.htm
[...]

You can buy ready re-spooled 120 from a guy on e-bay. Search on '620
film'. Central Camera in Chicago also carries 620 and a lot of other
outdated formats. Be prepared for sticker shock - this is a Labor
intensive business these days.

Note: Some cameras will take both 120 and 620 spools.
Old December 8th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
G.T.

From http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/format.htm
[...]

Thanks for the lesson. I bought a Mamiya 645 Pro recently and was only
familiar with 120 and 220.

Greg
Old December 8th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lobby Dosser

"G.T." wrote:

Thanks for the lesson. I bought a Mamiya 645 Pro recently and was only
familiar with 120 and 220.

Drive By Gloat!
Old December 8th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"G.T." wrote:

Thanks for the lesson. I bought a Mamiya 645 Pro recently and was only
familiar with 120 and 220.

The 110/2.8 lens is real sweet if you like that focal length, and often
quite cheap (I paid US$200 or so over here for mine). I used the 35/3.5,
55/2.8, and 110/2.8 for landscapey/cityscapey sorts of things for a few
years.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 8th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,alt.photography
Matthew Winn

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 22:33:45 GMT, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:

enlighten me, o wise one - how is it that you all find discussion of the
Nikon D300 relevent to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format? Is said format
4.25 x 6 , 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9?

6 x 9? The D300 is 4288 x 2848. That's 226152 times better than 6 x 9.

And doth it useth 620 or 120?

What's wrong with 220?

--
Matthew Winn
[If replying by mail remove the "r" from "urk"]