[SI] Mandate question

Old September 4th 13, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default [SI] Mandate question

Did someone say HDR?

http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Meet-...eypano2-XL.jpg
Old September 4th 13, 04:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-09-03 19:43:30 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:21:22 -0400, PeterN

On 2013-09-03 17:34:28 -0700, PeterN said:

On 9/2/2013 8:43 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 19:43:11 -0400, Bowser wrote:

I'm struggling with the next mandate. Old people, maritime, harvest,
and others are all good, but all seem to exclude someone. How about an
open mandate for this month? We haven't done one in a while, so maybe
it's time to just go shoot stuff we like and post it? And, for Peter
N, who is a fan of post processing, we can give him (and others) some
freedom this month by accepting some Photoshop exercises?

I'd like to encourage more participation...

Thoughts?

I prefer a mandate forced upon us by a higher authority. You, for
example.

The idea of a mandate, or theme, is to encourage people to look for a
shot of something they might not other think is a photographic
opportunity. It encourages creativeness and, sometimes, making
something out of nothing special.

There's no reason, given any mandate, that Peter - or anyone else -
can't do anything with it in post that he wants to.

But, I'll go along with whatever is chosen as long as it is not HDR or
some other form of making a pig's ear out of a silk purse.

When you voice an objection to HDR, am I correct in assuming that you
mean the "Harry Potter effect."
HDR is a tool that can enhance, or destroy an image. Just as a hammer
is a tool that can be used for building, or destruction.

Tony is just an anti-HDRist.
I think once he applies HDR to some of his character studies he might
modify his bias. HDR when applied with subtlety and care is a very
useful tool and need not lead to the "Kinkadeian" glow which nauseates
most of us.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_294.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R-comp-01w.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...R-comp-02w.jpg

It

seems a shame that Tony has NIK HDR Efex Pro with his plug-in suite
and he isn't going to play with it.

What if the mandate turned out to be HDR? (evil smirk)
He did say he would go along with the mandate.

I would submit an HDR (Hardly Done Ridiculous) and claimed my
treatment was so subtle that it can't be determined.

Then perhaps we should encourage inclusion of the exposure bracket set
to verify the veracity of the HDR claim.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_295.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 4th 13, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 18:09:25 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-09-03 17:34:28 -0700, PeterN said:

[...]

My first serious attempt, using the Nik software incorporated in Paint
Shop Pro X5. The 'original' is the central exposure of a 5-set bracket
at one-stop intervals. In other words, that's what the camera would
have captured left to its own devices.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nd%20after.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old September 4th 13, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2013-09-03 17:34:28 -0700, PeterN said:

[...]

By Golly, you are lucky with your weather. Right now, I'm staring into
horizontally driving rain.

Eric Stevens
Old September 4th 13, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-09-03 20:47:58 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

By Golly, you are lucky with your weather. Right now, I'm staring into
horizontally driving rain.

Right now we are looking at a blistering drought and haven't seen rain
since February.
Our five day temperatures for this week are 98ºF, 101ºF, 100ºF, 97ºF, &
97ºF with no prediction of rain.
We could do with just a bit of your rain.

Savageduck

Old September 4th 13, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-09-03 17:34:28 -0700, PeterN said:

[...]

That smacks of nospam's position that I'm an Apple hater because I
don't have an iPhone or anti-Progress because I get where I want to go
by using a map instead of a Smart Phone.

Not quite. I know that your taste doesn't lean toward HDR because of
the way early HDR was over cooked. Things have changed, and there is no
reason to sneer at a decent HDR because it is an HDR.
Now a badly executed HDR is as bad as any badly executed non-HDR.

I think once he applies HDR to some of his character studies he might
modify his bias. HDR when applied with subtlety and care is a very
useful tool and need not lead to the "Kinkadeian" glow which nauseates
most of us.

We'll never know.

Perhaps not.

Y'know, you've been ragging PeterN about his abstracts. Are you
anti-Abstract?

No. They are not part of my personal experiment right now.
....but never say never.

Maybe if you'd try to make some of those images you
linked into abstracts, you'd modify *your* bias.

....and some of my HDR images have an abstract element to them.
http://db.tt/H5gmNNTC

....and then I have the occasional "abstract accident".
http://db.tt/GnZ6vW9v

We each have our own ideas about what we want to do with our
photography, and it's really not appropriate to try to push our style
on others or to put down what others do.

You were the one who wanted to exclude HDR when some others here are
perfectly willing to accept it.

I don't go for the souvenir postcard look, and I won't say that I like
that look, but...hey...have at it if that's what you like.

What is this "souvenir postcard look" of which you speak?

Savageduck

Old September 4th 13, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 22:00:57 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-09-03 20:47:58 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

By Golly, you are lucky with your weather. Right now, I'm staring into
horizontally driving rain.

Right now we are looking at a blistering drought and haven't seen rain
since February.
Our five day temperatures for this week are 98ºF, 101ºF, 100ºF, 97ºF, &
97ºF with no prediction of rain.
We could do with just a bit of your rain.

I've spoken to the powers that be and they tell me they want to hang
on to our rain for the reason that we had almost no rain for the first
4 or 5 months of the year.

Eric Stevens
Old September 4th 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 9/3/2013 11:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 18:09:25 -0700, Savageduck

snip

It seems a shame that Tony has NIK HDR Efex Pro with his plug-in suite
and he isn't going to play with it.

My first serious attempt, using the Nik software incorporated in Paint
Shop Pro X5. The 'original' is the central exposure of a 5-set bracket
at one-stop intervals. In other words, that's what the camera would
have captured left to its own devices.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nd%20after.jpg

The image certainly woke me up.

--
PeterN
Old September 4th 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-09-03 20:47:58 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

By Golly, you are lucky with your weather. Right now, I'm staring into
horizontally driving rain.

Right now we are looking at a blistering drought and haven't seen rain
since February.
Our five day temperatures for this week are 98ºF, 101ºF, 100ºF, 97ºF, &
97ºF with no prediction of rain.
We could do with just a bit of your rain.

I have an idea! Make a trade with Eric. Send him ten cans of hot, dry
sunshine, in exchange for ten cans of horizontally driven rain.

--
PeterN
Old September 4th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2013-09-03 17:34:28 -0700, PeterN said:

[...]

I maintain that most good images have an abstract quality. But, when I
use the term "abstract," I am equating it with "essence."

...and then I have the occasional "abstract accident".
http://db.tt/GnZ6vW9v

Try that as a horizontal. Sharpen and saturate the warm tone, a bit.

We each have our own ideas about what we want to do with our
photography, and it's really not appropriate to try to push our style
on others or to put down what others do.

You were the one who wanted to exclude HDR when some others here are
perfectly willing to accept it.

I don't go for the souvenir postcard look, and I won't say that I like
that look, but...hey...have at it if that's what you like.

What is this "souvenir postcard look" of which you speak?

Can't say about Tony's use, I use it to mean: "I was there and took the
picture. I put nothing of myself into the image and did no
interpretation of what I saw."

I think this is fine, for remembrances of vacation places.

--
PeterN