[SI] Lines and Interestions is available for viewing (and critiquing...)

Old March 8th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] Lines and Interestions is available for viewing (and critiquing...)

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:37:09 -0600, Phil B.
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 05:47:40 -0600, Larry Thong
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:27:47 -0500, Bowser wrote:

The latest gallery of the world famous Shoot-In is now posted and
available for viewing. It includes, God forbid, a submission by AniBrett
(which looks like scanned film..?).

The one that stands out above the others most for me for its originality,
creativity, and abstractness is Brett's. The others are blah and boring,
so I won't say anything about them. Clearly Brett was thinking out of
the box on this one. The simplicity and abstract lines meandering about
while still intersecting bring a whole new dimension to life. The color
and texture scream celebrity! This is clearly a closeup of Tiger Wood's
forehead. Great job Brett. Still kicken' ass with the 5D MkII!!!

A close-up of skin that's over-processed and grainy from using an ungainly
(pun intended) amount of ISO to get enough DOF is what stands out in your
"creative eye"? Wow. No wonder you shoot the crap images you do.

Then again, considering the other submissions, I guess it is right up there
with the rest. That's anything but a compliment by the way, for any of
them. It's nice to see that no professionals will be losing their jobs to
any SI submitters again this year. (heh, that made me chuckle)

Totally agree; out stuff sucks especially when compared to your stuff.

Oh, wait...

Loser.
Old March 8th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:37:47 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

Bowser wrote:
The latest gallery of the world famous Shoot-In is now posted and
available for viewing. It includes, God forbid, a submission by
AniBrett (which looks like scanned film..?).

Enjoy:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/linesintersections

Thanks Bowser!

My comments:

Ski Tracks
Interesting framing, a bold approach to filling a tall portrait frame.
Subtle cross-path.

And, I nearly fell through the ice. I was skiing too close to the
intake for the local water treatment plant when the ice "creaked" just
a bit. Luckily, my weight was distributed by the length of the skis. I
had to either back off or drop the 5D II to shed weight. I kept the
camera.

Tree Down on Lines
Oh, the temptation to drive under that... not smart though, I guess.
Well captured.

Whole damned town was like that after a vicious wind storm. 80MPH
winds and lots of trees is usually an issue. Some parts of town didn't
get power back for days.

Freeway Cloverleaf
What are the partial v-shaped (paths?)?

Beats me. Next trip to Indy I'll drive by and see if I can figure them
out. This intersection is on the way to a White Castle. Yes, White
Castle is a guilty pleasure.
Old March 8th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
George Kerby

On 3/8/10 4:18 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 7, 7:37*pm, Paul Furman wrote:

Paul Furman wrote.
Cathedral & Skyscraper
Fascinating surreal juxtaposition.

Round Causeway Above
Neat architectural feature well captured. Looking the other way would
have been quite different if everyone was coming toward the camera.

Yep, I think I could get that better at a later date.

Skyscrapers
The tilt works well for this. I still like the tight cropped one you
posted in another thread.

Yep, I had fits picking my other two pictures, and might have been
better off using some of the others. It was a hard call.. Some of
the others I liked quite a bit but didn't use em..

Calvin Sambrook wrote.
lines1-NM5K.jpg Very clever, the old, the new, lines everywhere. I
particularly like the way the shape of the reflected building echos the
basic shape of the church. I'd have cloned out the Jesus saves sign as I
think it imposes on the shot and breaks the spell a bit. Excellent.

Naw, I liked the "Jesus Saves" sign.. Makes it a tad more mysterious,
and makes one ponder a bit more as they look at it..
But that's just me..

Maybe he did save Kenny Lay? Skilling sure as hell needs His help...

Old March 8th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-03-07 18:44:02 -0800, Paul Furman said:

Savageduck wrote:
Paul Furman said:

Tree Hacked around power lines
Ha! That's by far the worst I've seen, but I guess if it works it
works. Funny there's a replacement pole lying on the ground.

PG&E gave up on it 3 days after I took the shot. The tree is gone.

What the hell? It looked solved to me.

Here is what it looks like now;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC0682w.jpg

Savageduck

Old March 9th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Savageduck wrote:
Paul Furman said:
Savageduck wrote:

...and this idea was also one I had considered using vineyards, but I
the salad crop with irrigation lines works nicely, along with the foggy
tree line. (I suspect there is a stream hidden in those trees.)

Sycamores.

Jesus. I did not even notice the fog in the stream bed! Lettuce was
my best guess, thanks for confirming. This was a ways south of Gilroy
(garlic territory in summer).

I think I located your photo site and the stream and treeline are there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.065789&z=15

LOL, yes it's just off the page to the north. I was curious and also
looked it up on google maps. If you zoom in you can see a gravel turnout
on A-Line Highway, the winding view is looking north from the pullout,
we pulled over & spent the night there because Pinnacles campground
closes the gate at 8PM. Test run for a friend's van/RV. Fun watching the
farmers do their thing in the morning while I made crepes & sipped fresh
coffee.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...7623327513975/

So you like to follow fault lines as well? I am sure you are aware
that valley follows the San Andreas all the way down through
Parkfield, and out to the Carrizo Plain.

BTW, have you done the hike through Pinnacles NM?
I think it is time for me to do it again. I last visited some 10+
years ago, and it is just a short drive away.

We could meet there some time, half way between us. Yeah it's a great
hike (although too hot in summer). I met a photo club there last year
but went to the wrong side (100 miles drive away) though I did meet them
on the summit for Condor watching. The caves are crazy, at one point,
you have to crawl on your hands & knees in pitch black across some iron
grating, with camera bag off the back, inching along...

Too bad about the split pine. It looks like the new taller poles were
part of the decision.
Old March 9th 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:35:09 -0500, Bowser wrote:

Freeway Cloverleaf
What are the partial v-shaped (paths?)?

Beats me. Next trip to Indy I'll drive by and see if I can figure them
out. This intersection is on the way to a White Castle. Yes, White
Castle is a guilty pleasure.

"Indy", as in Indianapolis? My home town. Back in my decadent
youthful days we used to think that consuming five or six White Castle
burgers before going out drinking would coat our stomachs with grease
and deter the effects of alcohol. They were 10 for a $1.00 then.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 9th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 10-03-07 20:37 , Paul Furman wrote:

Knit
Rich detail.

Ball of Yarn
The shadow and wood texture add life to this.

Mesh in Perspective
Haunting. Anxious.

Thanks. I'm not sure "Ball of Yarn" has much merit.

"Mesh" is actually a tennis net.

Next time try to use fewer words in your critiques. Really. It takes
so long to read...

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.

Old March 9th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard[_5_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

Thanks Bowser!

My comments:

Thanks for the crits. The submitted shots were taken on the same afternoon
and on the spur of the moment. I hadn't seriously considered sticking any of
my stuff in to the pot (OK, there will be some who wish I hadn't) but was
bored and went for a walk in the nature reserve close to home.

Palm Reading
Beautifully executed for such a simple concept.

This was one of the later shots taken on my way back home and only happened
because I'd just wiped some mud off my other hand. I took this while sitting
on a concrrete footing of the pylon.
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.92...20&r=0&src=msl

High Tension Power Lines
Strong composition.

Took several shots of the power lines and pylons. This appealed more than
the others.
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.92...20&r=0&src=msl

Welded Wire Mesh
I like the bits of twigs & bark, how they jump into the game to play.

This is part of a birdwatching platform on a boardwalk in the nature
reserve. The mesh and boards fitted the mandate.
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.92...20&r=0&src=msl

Richard

Old March 9th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 21:24:39 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:35:09 -0500, Bowser wrote:

Freeway Cloverleaf
What are the partial v-shaped (paths?)?

Beats me. Next trip to Indy I'll drive by and see if I can figure them
out. This intersection is on the way to a White Castle. Yes, White
Castle is a guilty pleasure.

"Indy", as in Indianapolis? My home town. Back in my decadent
youthful days we used to think that consuming five or six White Castle
burgers before going out drinking would coat our stomachs with grease
and deter the effects of alcohol. They were 10 for a $1.00 then.

Yes, Indianoplace, home of a manufacturing plant for my company, and
numerous white castles, which I visit every damned time. I also head
downtown to one of the excellent restaurants near the football
stadium. I really like that town.