[SI] Letter "A" - 2 days to go.

Old April 22nd 12, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default [SI] Letter "A" - 2 days to go.

On 2012-04-21 23:13 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:36:27 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 4/21/2012 6:26 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:42:59 -0400, PeterN

On 2012-04-20 17:42:54 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-04-20 15:09:25 -0700, Alan Browne

The mandate remains 2012.04.22 which is in 2 days as the subject says
and the first line of the post says.

You should have two of mine.
I have an idea for #3 which I will probably shoot& deliver tomorrow. I
just hope my idea doesn't turn out to be a brain fart.

That would be letter B or F. I'll check tomorrow ... got places to go
and people to see.

Better a brain fart than a bar fart!

Indeed. Yes, I've received your phots. You beat me to one of them...

I will not be submitting, solely because I have been unable to shoot.
However, I am looking forward to viewing the entries.

S'OK. "Abstract" is represented by one of mine, but I don't do it as
well as you do. Thought I'd give it a shot, though.

Thanks for the comment. I am glad you are expanding from primarily
people. I would be surprised if the quality of your abstract wasn't at
least as good as your people shots.

Well, I could have used this one titled "At Bat"
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...21-44BW-XL.jpg
followed by this one:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...21-53BW-XL.jpg

of my eldest grandson at his Rookie Babe Ruth Baseball game. First
year of baseball for him.

Nice phots. For dynamic tension I'd try to get shots with the pitcher
if possible.

I'd wouldn't consider those as meeting "A". "At" is a preposition, not
a subject. Not much difference from "a car".

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 22nd 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-20 17:42:54 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-04-20 15:09:25 -0700, Alan Browne

[...]

There is no pitcher in Rookie Babe Ruth Baseball. The ball is pitched
by a machine so that all pitches are roughly in the strike zone and
roughly the same speed. The "roughly" is because the machine is
spring-loaded and not a precision device.

Here it is in this photo with my other grandson playing "pitcher".
That position is there as a fielder, but not to pitch. The guy in the
red hat operates the machine and drops his hand just before he
releases the ball. He is also the umpire as far as calling runners
safe or out.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...n4rjBg4-X3.jpg

Since this is the kid's first year in baseball, the object is to teach
them basic batting and fielding skills. They'd never get hits if one
of them actually pitched. They don't have that much control at 6 to 8
years-old.

True. I haven't been to a baseball field where kids are playing in many
years. My son played soccer mostly. He played baseball for 2 seasons
and didn't like it much (he was about 11 or 12 then) - too much sitting
around doing nothing. Even on the field too much doing nothing.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 23rd 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
David J. Littleboy

"Alan Browne" wrote:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...n4rjBg4-X3.jpg

Since this is the kid's first year in baseball, the object is to teach
them basic batting and fielding skills. They'd never get hits if one
of them actually pitched. They don't have that much control at 6 to 8
years-old.

True. I haven't been to a baseball field where kids are playing in many
years. My son played soccer mostly. He played baseball for 2 seasons
and didn't like it much (he was about 11 or 12 then) - too much sitting
around doing nothing. Even on the field too much doing nothing.

I can see that. But from a non-sports-fan's perspective, I never "got"
baseball until soccer became big over here. Watching soccer is like watching
paint dry, and made me realize how really neat baseball actually is.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 23rd 12, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
George Kerby

On 4/22/12 5:44 PM, in article
, "Alan Browne"

On 2012-04-20 17:42:54 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-04-20 15:09:25 -0700, Alan Browne

[...]

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...WFDG86/0/XL/20
12-04-21-44BW-XL.jpg
followed by this one:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...pBQhvq/0/XL/20
12-04-21-53BW-XL.jpg

[...]

And soccer isn't? Oh, a lot of running around and such, but BORING!!!!!

Maybe if the field was reduced by half or 2/3 there might be higher scores
and more excitement, otherwise, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Old April 23rd 12, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
George Kerby

On 4/22/12 7:08 PM, in article
, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...n4rjBg4-X3.jpg

Since this is the kid's first year in baseball, the object is to teach
them basic batting and fielding skills. They'd never get hits if one
of them actually pitched. They don't have that much control at 6 to 8
years-old.

True. I haven't been to a baseball field where kids are playing in many
years. My son played soccer mostly. He played baseball for 2 seasons
and didn't like it much (he was about 11 or 12 then) - too much sitting
around doing nothing. Even on the field too much doing nothing.

I can see that. But from a non-sports-fan's perspective, I never "got"
baseball until soccer became big over here. Watching soccer is like watching
paint dry, and made me realize how really neat baseball actually is.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Dittos that.