SONY F-828 - Is this Shutter Lag?

Old October 24th 04, 11:12 PM
Ritchie Sobell

Default SONY F-828 - Is this Shutter Lag?

I was shooting at a friends wedding (not the main photographer!) with
my new SONY F-828. (I'm somewhat new to digital photography).

I was standing near the inside doorway to the chapel and was taking
photos of the bride walking down the isle. When she started walking, I
pressed the shutter button based on what I saw on the LCD (I took
about 4 or 5 photos of the bride walking down the isle). When the
images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button. For
example, one instance was when I had only her face zoomed in the frame
and I pressed the shutter button - but what was recorded was an image
where half of her forehead was cutoff. Obviously she was walking
towards the camera - but I'm positive when I clicked the shutter
button, I had her face perfectly centered on the frame. There were
many instances like this throughout the wedding. Is this something to
do with shutter speed/lag? In other words, why did this happen? How
can I solve this problem in the future?

(I was shooting in Program Auto mode - where camera automatically
adjusts the shutter speed and the aperture according to the brightness
of the subject. Photos were not recorded in RAW format instead JPEG. I
was not using the burst mode either).

Thanks in Advance!
Old October 25th 04, 12:24 AM
Böwsér

The Sony 828 is better than average, and good for a ZLR, but it's no match
for a DSLR when it comes to autofocus and shutter response. Yes, this sounds
like shutter delay, and in many cases is unavoidable.

m...

Old October 25th 04, 01:30 AM
Drifter

On 24 Oct 2004 15:12:47 -0700, (Ritchie Sobell)
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like lag to me. Re-read your users manual, especially any
sections about prefocusing and/or shutter lag. Also get to know the
indicator (usually an LED that lights up) that tells you the camera is
done focusing/setting exposure, etc. and is ready to actually snap the
image.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old October 25th 04, 02:16 AM
Developwebsites

When the
images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button.

thats what you get when you use digital P&S. even film P&S takes intant photos
with no shutter lag.

Old October 25th 04, 02:43 AM
dj_nme

Ritchie Sobell wrote:

[...]

I use a Dimage 7i and had the same problem with lag.
What worked for me is set the camera to manual focus and then the lag is
only as long as the shutter speed.
Almost instantanious exposures, as quick as my (film) XG-2.
Old October 25th 04, 03:47 AM
bmoag

I use this camera.
Shutter lag is bad in program mode and worsens depending on the speed of
your CF or mem stick.
As others have pointed out: the only way to minimize lag is to preset manual
focus and use manual or aperture preferred or shutter preferred.

Old October 25th 04, 09:25 AM
David J Taylor

Developwebsites wrote:
When the
images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button.

thats what you get when you use digital P&S. even film P&S takes
intant photos with no shutter lag.

Even professsionals using expensive and heavy (D)SLRs do not take perfect
photos every time. For actions shots, many use motor drive.....

Ritchie:

On many cameras, the way to use the camera for minimum delay is to press
the shutter release half way, so that focus and exposure are set, and then
depress fully at the desired taking moment. Preset focus may also be
appropriate. You can reduce the delay to insignificant amounts this way.

As with any new and complex equipment, it pays to become familiar with it,
and to learn how to use the kit to its best, particularly before any
important photography.

Cheers,
David

Old October 25th 04, 01:10 PM
mark_digital

"Ritchie Sobell" wrote in message =
m...
I was shooting at a friends wedding (not the main photographer!) with
my new SONY F-828. (I'm somewhat new to digital photography).
=20
[...]

Your definition for Program Auto mode was taken directly from the =
manual.
OK, now read AF range finer frame and AF mode pages 65 through 67.
Also read page 35 on Hologram AF.
As you say earlier, this camera is new to you.=20

mark_