Rename file to date pic taken - software ?

Old October 4th 04, 09:09 PM
Andy100

Default Rename file to date pic taken - software ?

Are there any simple programs (preferably 'stand-alone') which will read the
exif 'date pic taken' date and rename the file to the date. If 2 or more
pics were taken on the same date then rename from DCF001, DCF002 to
041004(1) and 041004(2).

Cheers
Andy

Old October 4th 04, 09:26 PM
Oddbjørn Steffensen

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:09:13, Andy100 wrote:
Are there any simple programs (preferably 'stand-alone') which will
read the exif 'date pic taken' date and rename the file to the date.
If 2 or more pics were taken on the same date then rename from DCF001,
DCF002 to 041004(1) and 041004(2).

http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Andy

-oddbjørn

Old October 4th 04, 09:42 PM
David J Taylor

"Andy100" wrote in message
Are there any simple programs (preferably 'stand-alone') which will read
the
exif 'date pic taken' date and rename the file to the date. If 2 or more
pics were taken on the same date then rename from DCF001, DCF002 to
041004(1) and 041004(2).

You could try Picture Information Extractor - PIE from:

http://www.picmeta.com/

David

Old October 4th 04, 09:46 PM
Frank ess

Oddbjørn Steffensen wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:09:13, Andy100 wrote:
Are there any simple programs (preferably 'stand-alone') which will
read the exif 'date pic taken' date and rename the file to the date.
If 2 or more pics were taken on the same date then rename from
DCF001, DCF002 to 041004(1) and 041004(2).

http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Andy

-oddbjørn

And jhead (free):

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

I have it set so it translates the filename into the date extracted from
EXIF, _e.g._:
2004_08_03_113538.jpg
The last six digits are hours, minutes, seconds

Very little likelihood of identical file names.

It is run in command-line mode; I have a batch file that makes it a
three- or four-second process, once the files are downloaded from the
memory card to an "IN" directory, where the operating files reside.
Two-click the .bat file, wait three seconds, move the newly named files
to an appropriate directory.

_Nikon2Date.bat:
"jhead -nf%%Y_%%m_%%d_%%H%%M%%S dscn*.jpg"

The jhead exe file will extract any information you want from your photo
jpg and make it part of the file name in the order you specify.

If a relative programming dummy like me can make it useful, anyone can.

I also have cam2pc installed. (free last time I looked) Early versions
would do all that from a Windows interface; the more recent ones add
bells and whistles (including a viewer) I never used, but at one time I
had it configured to change the file name to a date, and deposit the
renamed files in a designated folder, all with one "go ahead" click
after it opened automatically when a card was plugged in to the reader.

http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/

--
Frank ess

Old October 4th 04, 10:11 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Andy100" writes:

Are there any simple programs (preferably 'stand-alone') which will read the
exif 'date pic taken' date and rename the file to the date. If 2 or more
pics were taken on the same date then rename from DCF001, DCF002 to
041004(1) and 041004(2).

Lots. I use Siren File Rename
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rplr/scarabee/en/Siren.htm. It can use
about anything out of the EXIF information, file name, or file
datestamps, and supports sequential numbering.

I rename my camera original files to:
ddb 20041004 010-001-orig.{jpg,raw}
aaa bbbbbbbb ccc ddd

aaa: my initials, to help my photos easy to identify
bbb: yyyymmdd the photo was shot
ccc: "session number" -- I like to group the photos by what/where I
was shooting; If I go to the Renaissance festival in the
afternoon, say, and a party in the evening.
ddd: shot number within the session.

Old October 4th 04, 10:26 PM
Andy100

Cheers everyone, i particularly like exifer and it's free. Thanks

Andy