JPEG files on Hi Def TV

Old September 17th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dirk

Default JPEG files on Hi Def TV

Greets All.

I recently purchased a 50in Hi Def TV. I hooked my Nikon D200 up through
the inputs to view the JPEG images and the viewed results were far from
spectacular. The images appeared to be unsharp and noisy.

I transferred the images to a DVD +R and played them through my new
Upconvert DVD player and there was not much improvement in the displayed
images.

My JPEG images are all shot at the highest resolution and largest file size,
and yet the displayed result look not much better than on a conventional TV.

Am I missing something here, or is all I can expect? I've scene still
photographs displayed during Hi Definition programming (National Geographic
on PBS) and these photos look outstanding. I would like to achieve the same
results.

Thank you,

Mark

Old September 18th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Dirk wrote:
[...]

Just a guess. I would find out what the pixel dimensions are on the tv

and try resampling an image to match and see if any improvement.
Dave Cohen
Old September 18th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Dirk
writes
Greets All.

I recently purchased a 50in Hi Def TV. I hooked my Nikon D200 up through
the inputs to view the JPEG images and the viewed results were far from
spectacular. The images appeared to be unsharp and noisy.

Hardly surprising really, the TV output on your D200 will be standard TV
resolution only.

I transferred the images to a DVD +R and played them through my new
Upconvert DVD player and there was not much improvement in the displayed
images.

Again, hardly surprising, since your "new upconvert DVD player" is also
taking a standard TV resolution image and doing exactly what it says on
the box, "upconverting" - otherwise known as interpolation.

My JPEG images are all shot at the highest resolution and largest file size,
and yet the displayed result look not much better than on a conventional TV.

Your HDTV will, almost certainly, have a PC input on the back, somethign
like the VGA connector on the back of your monitor. Plug the PC in to
it, set the PC video to the native resolution of your TV or the closest
that the PC will support, and display your images in slideshow software.
That way you will get the full, or almost full, resolution that your
screen can offer.
--
Kennedy
Old September 19th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dirk

Thank you, I will try your suggestion.

I guess until the BlueRay vs HD-DVD battle is sorted out, this seems like a
logical solution.

Mark

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
[...]

Python Philosophers (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when
replying)

Old September 19th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seán O'Leathlóbhair

On 17 Sep, 22:13, "Dirk" wrote:
Greets All.

I recently purchased a 50in Hi Def TV. I hooked my Nikon D200 up through
the inputs to view the JPEG images and the viewed results were far from
spectacular. The images appeared to be unsharp and noisy.

I transferred the images to a DVD +R and played them through my new
Upconvert DVD player and there was not much improvement in the displayed
images.

My JPEG images are all shot at the highest resolution and largest file size,
and yet the displayed result look not much better than on a conventional TV.

Am I missing something here, or is all I can expect? I've scene still
photographs displayed during Hi Definition programming (National Geographic
on PBS) and these photos look outstanding. I would like to achieve the same
results.

I just went through a similar process.

I recently bought a Samsung 1080p HDTV. It has a PC monitor
connection so I hooked my wife's HP lap top up and tried to set it to
1920x1080. I was disappointed to find that it could not do this. The
highest common format of the lap top and the TV was below the highest
of the lap top so I was getting a poorer resolution than on the lap
top (but a lot bigger). Nonetheless, they looked reasonanble. I
contacted HP Support but they confirmed that the lap top could not do
1920x1080.

While at this stage, I saw a quite cheap Philips DVD player. It was
labelled HD DVD player but the price (£58) seemed too good to be
true. On closer inspection, it only plyed regular DVDs (and CDs, VCDs
etc) but upscaled them and outputed through HDMI. It claims to show
JPGs so there was a hope that it would be a way to show JPGs in full
resolution. I decided to check before buying.

Meanwhile, my son played with the lap top and TV and managed to get it
to output 1920x1080 even though HP Support said that it could not be
done. The trick seemed to be to select dual monitor output and have
the external monitor selected when querying the resolution. Is there
feedback from the monitor to the PC? I didn't think so but somehow he
found 1920x1080 this way.

JPGs now look very nice in 1920x1080 on the big TV. My son went on to
download some HD clips and played them as well. They were also very
nice but a little jerky, I guess that the PC was not quite fast
enough.

--
Seán Ó Leathlóbhair

Old September 19th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article . com, Seán
O'Leathlóbhair writes
contacted HP Support but they confirmed that the lap top could not do
1920x1080.

Meanwhile, my son played with the lap top and TV and managed to get it
to output 1920x1080 even though HP Support said that it could not be
done. The trick seemed to be to select dual monitor output and have
the external monitor selected when querying the resolution. Is there
feedback from the monitor to the PC?

Yes, on modern monitors. In fact, not can the monitor talk back to the
PC, but the PC can talk to the monitor too, and control its settings.
Communication is via the standard 2-pin I2C bus. Clock, SCL, is on pin
15 and data, SDA, is on pin 12.

On older monitors, pins 4, 11 & 12 were used to determine the monitor
capability, but with more monitors offering a range of capabilities, the
8 possible combinations from these three pins quickly became inadequate.
--
Kennedy
Old September 20th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ilya Zakharevich

=?iso-8859-1?B?U2XhbiBPJ0xlYXRobPNiaGFpcg==?=
], who wrote in article . com:
While at this stage, I saw a quite cheap Philips DVD player. It was
labelled HD DVD player but the price (=A358) seemed too good to be
true.

In US, a DVD player which can show (full-resolution) JPEGs from
CD/DVD/USB to 1080p TVs costs about $65. (Unfortunately, USB reading
and large-JPEG rendering is a little bit too slow for my tastes; it
takes not much less than a minute to show a 7Kx5K JPEG from a USB
key... I need to reclock it when reading from DVD, but did not do it
yet.)

Hope this helps,
Ilya
Old September 20th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seán O'Leathlóbhair

], who wrote in article . com:

While at this stage, I saw a quite cheap Philips DVD player. It was
labelled HD DVD player but the price (=A358) seemed too good to be
true.

In US, a DVD player which can show (full-resolution) JPEGs from
CD/DVD/USB to 1080p TVs costs about $65. (Unfortunately, USB reading
and large-JPEG rendering is a little bit too slow for my tastes; it
takes not much less than a minute to show a 7Kx5K JPEG from a USB
key... I need to reclock it when reading from DVD, but did not do it
yet.)

Thanks.

For the actual functionality, the price was not a surprise. The "too
good to be true" referred to the suggestion that it might play HD DVD
discs rather than just ordinary DVDs. I think that the labelling was
misleading. In the store, I met a couple who had previously bought
one and were disappointed by it. However, it turned that they had
ignored the HDMI cable and used SCART. When I showed them the HDMI
connections on some TVs in the store, they realised that they had
one. Maybe, I should have taken their phone number to ask how good it
was after being properly connected. I would have researched it
further if my son had not sorted out 1920x1080 on the lap top. Since
he has, it has no attraction. The lap top shows JPGs at an acceptable
rate even though when is pulling them through WiFi from another PC. I
have not tried using a USB key or direct from a disc.

--
Seán Ó Leathlóbhair

Old September 21st 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dirk

Default Was JPEG files on Hi Def TV Now- Problem solved!

Hello All,

Thank you kindly for your responses to my problem.

As it turned out my TV did not have inputs to connect to my PC or laptop.
What I did discover was that
it had an SD Card slot. Although my Nikon uses CF Cards, I purchased a SD
Card, transferred
some JPGS files to it and inserted into the card reader.

What a huge difference it made! The HiDef TV really rendered those images in
incredible sharpness and detail. I recommend anyone shopping to by a Hi Def
TV make sure it has some sort of card reader. You wont be disappointed.

Mark

Old September 21st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seán O'Leathlóbhair

My TV does not have a card slot but it does have a PC connection.
Once the resolution was sorted (see my other posts), it also did a
very good job of showing the photos. Both (PC connection and card
slot) are probably good features.

--
Seán Ó Leathlóbhair