Poll on *Really* Wide Angle Lenses

Old October 29th 05, 03:44 AM
Jim

Default Poll on *Really* Wide Angle Lenses

On 2005-08-05 15:44:09 -0400, "BC" said:

If a rectilinear 8-28mm zoom or perhaps rectilinear primes in the
6-10mm range were available, would you be seriously interested? Focal
lengths listed are in full-frame 35mm equivalents, so for a DX format
the above-mentioned zoom would have an acutal focal length range of
5.33 - 18.67mm). Distortion would be nearly zero, as would
illumination falloff.

Brian

No. I have a 20mm 2.8 for my 35m film cameras.. I find it plenty wide
and I use it often. I have not wished for anything wider. That was
500.00 US. I have a 28-85 which is my normal lens and I love the zoom
in this range Now, for my digital.. that 20mm lens is pretty close
to a normal. I use it indoors as normal "35mm" lens. Where is this
going? I see no need for a zoom in the extreme wide angles. Ethier I
use them for landcapes and I don't "miss" the zoom. in other words, a
little attention to composition and camera position does it. or they
are used in close proximity where picking up the camera and tripod and
moving it accomplishes the task. Will I buy a 10 or 12 mm prime for
my digital.. sure! I miss the wide 20 effect. I don't need a zoom at
this range and a quality rectilinear fixed length lens will do just
fine. I see no reason to pay the premium price for a zoom in this
range.

Jim

--
Jim