Canon to repair some 24-105 mm F4L lenses

Old October 28th 05, 05:56 PM
This old Bob

Default Canon to repair some 24-105 mm F4L lenses

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...on24105svc.asp

If that's not a recall I don't know what is.

Old October 28th 05, 08:35 PM
Bill Funk

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:56:21 GMT, "This old Bob"
wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...on24105svc.asp

If that's not a recall I don't know what is.

In a recall, the device is called back for (free) repair.
In this case, the lens isn't being called back, Canon is offering to
repair the lens for free.
It's not *quite* a recall. :-)

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old October 28th 05, 09:48 PM
This old Bob

wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...on24105svc.asp

If that's not a recall I don't know what is.

In a recall, the device is called back for (free) repair.
In this case, the lens isn't being called back, Canon is offering to
repair the lens for free.
It's not *quite* a recall. :-)

When a Honda automobile is recalled do I send it all the way back to Japan
where it was made, or do I take it to the local authorized service center?
I know you have a smiley but I missed the joke, I guess.

I'm only making this point because with my thread from earlier this week
someone thought I was trolling and by starting a hoax, as if I made it all
up just to bash Canon. Some peoples kids.

Old October 28th 05, 10:21 PM
Harry

It's not a recall, but more of a 'Service Campaign'. An 'in case of
customer complaint...' notice.

In order to be a recall, it would have to be a safety related issue, such as
a battery charger can catch fire, etc.

As for your post, I don't see what is wrong with it as there is a link to an
official Canon site giving all the details of the affected lenses.

Old October 29th 05, 05:45 AM
Bill Funk

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:48:53 GMT, "This old Bob"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...on24105svc.asp

If that's not a recall I don't know what is.

In a recall, the device is called back for (free) repair.
In this case, the lens isn't being called back, Canon is offering to
repair the lens for free.
It's not *quite* a recall. :-)

When a Honda automobile is recalled do I send it all the way back to Japan
where it was made, or do I take it to the local authorized service center?
I know you have a smiley but I missed the joke, I guess.

The Honda car is recalled, and you take it to a dealer. Honda in Japan
doesn't repair cars in America; the dealers do. It's the way they do
business.
Canon dealers don't repair lenses. it's the way Canon does business.