Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. CanonA95 vs. Canon G5

Old September 30th 04, 04:52 AM
PretzelX

Default Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. CanonA95 vs. Canon G5

Hi,

Which would you buy!!!... I'm looking for a digital camera with the
following features:
* long zoom (would be very nice, but will compromise if can get a
better quality camera/picture with lesser zoom)
* at least 4MP
* excellent reliability
* ability to shoot macro 10 cm (would be nice if possible)
* good level of manual control but most importantly exceptional
'automatic mode'. Want a camera that will take great pictures on auto
mode.
* easy to use user-interface (have used Nikon Coolpix 4300 and find the
user interface a little bit of a hassle to use)
* ability to focus/shoot well in low light is also desirable

These are the approximate prices I can get them for:
Konika-Minolta Z2 - AU$549 (US$384)
Fujifilm FinePix S5500 - AU$549 (US$384)
Fujifilm FinePix S3500 - AU$369 (US$258)
Canon PowerShot A95 - AU$573 (US$401)
Canon PowerShot G5 - AU$668 (US$467)

I've read the specs through and have become more confused! Liked the
feel of the Fujifilms. Haven't seen any example galleries of shots
taken by Fujufilm s5500. Thought the finish of K-M Z2 was a bit cheap
-ie plasticy, but have seen some example photos which were excellent.
Have always heard good things about Canons, but their long zoom camera
doesn't take my fancy.

Thanks for your opinions.
PretzelX
Old September 30th 04, 06:53 AM
Richard Stewart

Haven't seen any example galleries of shots taken by Fujufilm s5500.

http://www.grootnet.com/S5500/kookaburra.jpg

Here's a photo taken by an S5500...

Cheers,
Richard

Old September 30th 04, 06:54 AM
Richard Stewart

"Richard Stewart" wrote in message
Haven't seen any example galleries of shots taken by Fujufilm s5500.

http://www.grootnet.com/S5500/kookaburra.jpg

Here's a photo taken by an S5500...

http://www.grootnet.com/S5500

Actually there's a whole bunch here...

Cheers,
Richard

Old September 30th 04, 07:33 AM
PretzelX

Richard, thanks for that! Excellent! Do you like your S5500? May I
ask you why you chose the S5500? Do you find it easy to use?

Thanks very much for your help.
PretzelX

Old September 30th 04, 07:51 AM
Richard Stewart

Richard, thanks for that! Excellent! Do you like your S5500? May I
ask you why you chose the S5500? Do you find it easy to use?

I don't own an S5500 - I own the older S5000
That site I listed is not mine, but one I found while looking to see if the
S500 is a worthwhile upgrade for me...

And from what I see the S5500 is a lot better than the S5000...

The S5000 camera is awesome - fast, responsive, takes excellent photos, is
very very efficent on batteries...

It's very easy to use - the controls are laid out nicely, and the camera has
a mini-SLR feel to it, so is very comfortable to use.

Depending on the mode, it can take photos up to 5 fps as well...

The fact that it also comes with a 55mm filter thread as well is a nice
bonus... you can use any number of filters with it...

The only issues I had with the S5000 have been fixed on the S5500, so I wish
I'd waited 8 months!

The issues were - only 2 second max shutter open times (now 15 secs I
think), and no low ISO modes (also fixed)...

Cheers,
Richard

Old September 30th 04, 01:14 PM
DHB

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:52:45 +1000, PretzelX
wrote:

[...]

PretzelX,
I strongly consider that you do side-by-side picture
comparisons looking for digital nosie. Here is a good review link for
comparing many different digital cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Unfortunately he does not yet have a review of the Fuji
Finepix S5500 but only the S5000. However check out the review on the
Canon G5 & skip over to the sample pictures, mainly the picture of the
white Marina Cafe building. In my opinion this is a grate test
subject because there is lots of detain & dynamic range in this
subject. Look into the lower illuminated areas of the picture like
the 1st & 2nd floor which is shaded & look for noise. There is always
some there but you will notice much less from the G5's picture than
the S5000's picture. Not a fair comparison because your considering
the newer S5500, but compare all unedited pictures that you find
against others from all the cameras that you are considering & look
for noise.

Can't speak personally about the G5 because I don't own 1 but
I do own a G2 & it's a great everyday camera with low noise & the
ability to mount an external flash. To be honest I am somewhat biased
toward Canon because I own a few of them but that's because my 1st
digital Canon camera got me hooked, the humble A40, 2MP which I still
own & use for certain things. No camera is perfect & we all consider
different things when we view a picture, so it's important that you
research your choices well & go with what fits "your" needs best. As
for that, only "you" can decide!

2 more notes, most cameras have a program mode "P" where it's
basically the same as full "AUTO" but you get to make a few changes.
If your needs are best served in "AUTO" mode, then I would suggest
that you try placing it in "P" mode & change only 1 thing. Lower the
ISO setting to the camera's lowest, ISO 50 on most Canon Digicams.
This alone can go a long way to giving you cleaner pictures from any
camera. Lastly, get used to using exposure compensation because
cameras don't always get the exposure correct or to "your" liking.

My G2 seems to take better pictures with the ISO set to 50 &
the exposure compensation to -1/3 EV, but this is "my" preference with
this camera. "Your" view of the same picture could be very different
from mine but a little experimentation with any camera you choice is
likely to allow you to get the best pictures from it.

Best wishes, I hope you are happy with your selection &
remember, most of the fun is in capturing the moment as best you can,
not on "who has the best camera, etc....."

Respectfully, DHB
to the American public."----Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 30th 04, 01:43 PM
Richard

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:14:44 GMT, DHB wrote:
Unfortunately he does not yet have a review of the Fuji
Finepix S5500 but only the S5000.

Yeah that's one of my small annoyances with the S5000 - noisey images
(not really bad, but in low light it suffers) - apparently Fuji
themselves were not impressed either, and have replaced the CCD sensor
with a newer lower noise CCD.

Cheers,
Richard

Old October 1st 04, 06:59 AM
PretzelX

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for your advice. Do you know if the noise performance
has improved with the new CCD in the s5500?

Many thanks.
PretzelX.

Old October 1st 04, 07:01 AM
PretzelX

Hi DHB,

Thanks very much for all your advice and you opinions. I really
appreciate the effort you've gone to write such and in depth reply.

Thanks.
PretzelX

to the American public."----Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918