Image capture speed gets a boost!

Old October 15th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Image capture speed gets a boost!

Very interesting...

https://interestingengineering.com/the-worlds-fastest-10-trillion-fps-camera-is-here-and-it-can-freeze-time?_source=newsletter&_campaign=BznyaKrM7be5V&_u id=nXe0N3Xbxr&_h=64cc3b5d9718727b8670189a16e07bec6 29326aa&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mailing&u tm_campaign=Newsletter-13-10-2018

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 15th 18, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 15, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

Very interesting...

https://interestingengineering.com/t...on-fps-camera-
is-here-and-it-can-freeze-time?_source=newsletter&_campaign=BznyaKrM7be5V&_u id
=nXe0N3Xbxr&_h=64cc3b5d9718727b8670189a16e07bec629 326aa&utm_source=newsletter&
utm_medium=mailing&utm_campaign=Newsletter-13-10-2018

Interesting indeed. However, not to be found in your everyday Nikon, Canon,
Olympus, or Fujifilm anytime soon.

If they do they should be able to shoot a 100 meter track event and take a
week, or more to analyze each movement/moment for those 10 seconds. ;-)

Do you think they might have a rolling shutter issue?

Hell! I have a hard enough time trying to use 30fps, and at an airshow with
low level, high speed passes I find that a 3 to 5 frame burst, with the
occasional 8 frame burst is all I need. You have to control that trigger
finger.

Savageduck

Old October 15th 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

Very interesting...

https://interestingengineering.com/t...on-fps-camera-
is-here-and-it-can-freeze-time?_source=newsletter&_campaign=BznyaKrM7be5V&_u id
=nXe0N3Xbxr&_h=64cc3b5d9718727b8670189a16e07bec629 326aa&utm_source=newsletter&
utm_medium=mailing&utm_campaign=Newsletter-13-10-2018

most of that is tracking information. what else did the newsletter say?

all that's needed is this:
https://interestingengineering.com/t...trillion-fps-c
amera-is-here-and-it-can-freeze-time
Old October 15th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/15/2018 11:08 AM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

It will breath new life into LR, and one event will take an entire
life's work to select the best shots! ;-)

Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future. As for 30fps,
those who have shot video have always worked with that rate, and it's
not much of a challenge. IMO, the issue is that it isn't the best way to
get individual shots anyway, but for those who work that way, a 120fps
rate would improve their chances.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 15th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future. As for 30fps,
those who have shot video have always worked with that rate, and it's
not much of a challenge. IMO, the issue is that it isn't the best way to
get individual shots anyway, but for those who work that way, a 120fps
rate would improve their chances.

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.
Old October 15th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 15, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

https://interestingengineering.com/t...llion-fps-came
[...]

I have my head stuck in LR with selecting single frames, and finding that
“shot” in any of my occasional bursts. I certainly can’t imagine
analyzing the content of a second or two from a 10 trillion fps sequence.

Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future. As for 30fps,
those who have shot video have always worked with that rate, and it's
not much of a challenge. IMO, the issue is that it isn't the best way to
get individual shots anyway, but for those who work that way, a 120fps
rate would improve their chances.

Well I can shoot 120fps video with my X-T3, not that I am a video shooter,
but then to dig through that footage to extract that single Pulitzer winning
“frame” is going to be a royal PIA.

Savageduck

Old October 15th 18, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 10/15/2018 12:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 15, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

That is a down-side to the style of shooting that has become popular.

Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future. As for 30fps,
those who have shot video have always worked with that rate, and it's
not much of a challenge. IMO, the issue is that it isn't the best way to
get individual shots anyway, but for those who work that way, a 120fps
rate would improve their chances.

Well I can shoot 120fps video with my X-T3, not that I am a video shooter,
but then to dig through that footage to extract that single Pulitzer winning
“frame” is going to be a royal PIA.

My point is that Pulitzer prize shots of action scenes have been taken
for many decades with cameras that even lacked motor drives. The
reliance on technology while diminishing one's skills is of questionable
value as far as I'm concerned.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 15th 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

My point is that Pulitzer prize shots of action scenes have been taken
for many decades with cameras that even lacked motor drives. The
reliance on technology while diminishing one's skills is of questionable
value as far as I'm concerned.

nothing is diminished. technology allows for opportunities that were
otherwise not possible and makes what was once possible that much
easier. fighting progress is a losing battle.
Old October 15th 18, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/15/2018 12:16 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future. As for 30fps,
those who have shot video have always worked with that rate, and it's
not much of a challenge. IMO, the issue is that it isn't the best way to
get individual shots anyway, but for those who work that way, a 120fps
rate would improve their chances.

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.

To quote you, "storage is cheap."
I see the issue as on of organization.

--
PeterN
Old October 15th 18, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

Seriously, I suspect that we'll see some significant boost in capture
rates for upscale cameras in the not-so-distant future. As for 30fps,
those who have shot video have always worked with that rate, and it's
not much of a challenge. IMO, the issue is that it isn't the best way to
get individual shots anyway, but for those who work that way, a 120fps
rate would improve their chances.

60 and 120fps and even 240fps is the norm now. the problem is storage.

To quote you, "storage is cheap."

it is, however, 240fps is still 8x the amount of data as 30fps, so
either you shoot 1/8th as much video or you need to pay 8x as much in
storage costs.

the other problem is the camera itself. 240fps will quickly fill a
smartphone or sd card, even if you have petabytes on a nas.

I see the issue as on of organization.

organization is no different. it's the same videos, just a lot bigger.