How to add a context menu to strip out EXIF information from JPEG

Old October 31st 14, 05:25 AM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Wildman

Default How to add a context menu to strip out EXIF information fromJPEG

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 03:15:38 +0000 (UTC)
"A. Beck." wrote:

Thanks for your help! Is Nautilus different when it comes to adding
things to the menu?

Take a look at Nautilus Actions.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions

--
Wildman GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!

Old October 31st 14, 06:31 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
JEDIDIAH

On 2014-10-31, A. Beck. wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:31:08 -0500, Wildman wrote:

After placing the .desktop file in the proper folder, you will need to
restart Dolphin for it to take effect. The menu entry will appear under
Actions.

Ah. That may be why it's not working.
I'm using Nautilus, not Dolphin.
http://i60.tinypic.com/a2rz2f.jpg

I forget exactly why Dolphin drove me crazy such that I switched
to Nautilus and was happier ever since, but, I think it was that Dolphin

I did something similar to this with Nautilus (or rather the MATE fork
of it). I just created a shell script and did the "open with" thing once
and that added my little shell script to the list of things I can run
against a JPEG.

Pretty easy...

[deletia]

--
The difference between a monopoly and a "market leader" is |||
that you can simply ignore a "market leader" and be no worse / | \

Old October 31st 14, 10:04 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
A. Beck.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:25:28 -0500, Wildman wrote:

Take a look at Nautilus Actions.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions

I installed it.
And even ran the config tool.
$ gksu nautilus-actions-config-tool

Still nothing ... but will work on it.

Old October 31st 14, 10:32 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Wildman

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:13:04 -0400
"Jonathan N. Little" wrote:

A. Beck. wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:25:28 -0500, Wildman wrote:

Take a look at Nautilus Actions.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions

I installed it.
And even ran the config tool.
$ gksu nautilus-actions-config-tool

Still nothing ... but will work on it.

Stupid question here, but are you not running *Kubuntu*? Kubuntu
filemanager is Dolphin, not Nautilus so would not nautilus-actions
only work on Nautilus, or at lease requires some tweaking to install
for Dolphin?

Higher up in the thread Mr. Beck indicated that he
didn't like Dolphin and was using Nautilus.

Personally I would choose Nautilus over Dolphin too.
That hasn't really been a problem since I rarely use
KDE. Right now I am using Thunar, the default with
Xfce. It has a 'Custom Actions' editor built-in to
easily do the type of things Mr. Beck is wanting.

Old October 31st 14, 10:35 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Wildman

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:04:56 +0000 (UTC)
"A. Beck." wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:25:28 -0500, Wildman wrote:

Take a look at Nautilus Actions.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions

I installed it.
And even ran the config tool.
$ gksu nautilus-actions-config-tool

Still nothing ... but will work on it.

I believe nautilus-actions is what you want to run. That
gives you the gui for creating the custom actions.

BTW I have never used it so I can't offer any guidance.

Old October 31st 14, 11:28 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Wildman

"A. Beck." wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:25:28 -0500, Wildman wrote:

Take a look at Nautilus Actions.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions

I installed it.
And even ran the config tool.
$ gksu nautilus-actions-config-tool

Still nothing ... but will work on it.

I think I have come up with an easy solution. Create the
custom action and point it the script that is pasted
below. For the command use this:

/path/to/strip_exif.sh $F

Paste the script into a text editor and save it as
strip_exif.sh and set the exec bit. Right-click it
in Nautilus and select Properties--Permissions.

The script can actually be placed anywhere but on
my system I have a hidden folder in HOME called
..scripts that I use for such things.

Also, it occurred to me that you might not want the
pictures to be over written so I would suggest to
create a folder like ~/Converted to receive the
stripped images. The script is written with that
in mind. If you don't care if the pictures are
overwritten then use the second script. Of Course
change the path to the 'Converted' directory as
needed. BTW this script has been tested. And
"theoretically" there is no limit on the number
of images that can be pasted to the script.

----begin strip_exif.sh----
#!/bin/bash

while [ "$1" != "" ]; do
convert -strip $1 /home/user/Converted/`basename $1`
shift
done
----end strip_exif.sh----

This version will overwrite the original files.

----begin strip_exif.sh (overwrite version)----
#!/bin/bash

while [ "$1" != "" ]; do
convert -strip $1 $1