How to add a context menu to strip out EXIF information from JPEG

Old October 28th 14, 04:44 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
A. Beck.

Default How to add a context menu to strip out EXIF information from JPEG

Is it easy to add a command to the Kubuntu right-click menu
to strip out EXIF information from a digital JPEG photo?
http://i59.tinypic.com/14p3x4.jpg

I( easily installed a context menu to resize & rotate images in
Dolphin, simply by running the following command in Kubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter

Given that I often remove the EXIF information from those
resized pictures, is there an easy way to add a separate
context menu command that performs the following on JPEGs?

$ convert -strip pic.jpg pic.jpg
Old October 30th 14, 02:47 AM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
dillinger

On 10/28/2014 05:44 PM, A. Beck. wrote:
Is it easy to add a command to the Kubuntu right-click menu
to strip out EXIF information from a digital JPEG photo?
http://i59.tinypic.com/14p3x4.jpg

I( easily installed a context menu to resize & rotate images in
Dolphin, simply by running the following command in Kubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter

Given that I often remove the EXIF information from those
resized pictures, is there an easy way to add a separate
context menu command that performs the following on JPEGs?

$ convert -strip pic.jpg pic.jpg

jhead can do that:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg
See man jhead for more options.
You may have to redirect the output to stdout and stderr to /dev/null:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg &/dev/null
Old October 30th 14, 03:51 AM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
A. Beck.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 03:47:51 +0100, dillinger wrote:

jhead can do that:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg See man jhead for more options.
You may have to redirect the output to stdout and stderr to /dev/null:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg &/dev/null

Stripping out the EXIF is pretty easy by a number of commands, but the
hard part is putting that command into the context menu.

Nobody seems to know how to do that.

Old October 30th 14, 08:19 AM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 30/10/2014 03:51, A. Beck. wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 03:47:51 +0100, dillinger wrote:

jhead can do that:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg See man jhead for more options.
You may have to redirect the output to stdout and stderr to /dev/null:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg &/dev/null

Stripping out the EXIF is pretty easy by a number of commands, but the
hard part is putting that command into the context menu.

Nobody seems to know how to do that.

In Windows, I would first put the commands into a .cmd file accepting
parameters, and use SendTo. Secondly, you might want to use the "Open
with" option in Windows to point to the command file. Thirdly, you
could edit the registry or use some third-party software to add
something to the context menu.

I imagine UNIX offers something similar, but that's not my area of
expertise.

--
Cheers,
David
Old October 30th 14, 04:58 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
dillinger

On 10/30/2014 04:51 AM, A. Beck. wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 03:47:51 +0100, dillinger wrote:

jhead can do that:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg See man jhead for more options.
You may have to redirect the output to stdout and stderr to /dev/null:
$ jhead -de pic.jpg &/dev/null

Stripping out the EXIF is pretty easy by a number of commands, but the
hard part is putting that command into the context menu.

Nobody seems to know how to do that.

I thought you already had covered that
I don't use KDE, so I can't test it but a bit of googling gave me this:

Create a file named strip_exif.desktop in one of these directories:

/opt/kde4/share/services/ServiceMenus/
/usr/share/services/ServiceMenus/
/home/yourname/.kde4/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

The content of it should be something like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=image/jpeg;
Actions=strip_exif

[Desktop Action strip_exif]
Name=Strip Exif Headers
Icon=edit-clear
Exec=jhead -de %U &/dev/null

Good luck with it.

Old October 30th 14, 05:17 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
A. Beck.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:58:24 +0100, dillinger wrote:

Create a file named strip_exif.desktop in one of these directories:

/opt/kde4/share/services/ServiceMenus/ /usr/share/services/ServiceMenus/
/home/yourname/.kde4/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

The content of it should be something like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin MimeType=image/jpeg;
Actions=strip_exif

[Desktop Action strip_exif]
Name=Strip Exif Headers Icon=edit-clear Exec=jhead -de %U &/dev/null

The only "ServiceMenus" on my system is in
/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

So, I put it the
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 202 Oct 30 10:15 strip_exif.desktop

Then, I went to a JPG file and right clicked on it.
Nothing changed, so, I may need to reboot & report back.

Old October 30th 14, 05:31 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Wildman

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:44:38 +0000 (UTC)
"A. Beck." wrote:

Is it easy to add a command to the Kubuntu right-click menu
to strip out EXIF information from a digital JPEG photo?
http://i59.tinypic.com/14p3x4.jpg

I( easily installed a context menu to resize & rotate images in
Dolphin, simply by running the following command in Kubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter

Given that I often remove the EXIF information from those
resized pictures, is there an easy way to add a separate
context menu command that performs the following on JPEGs?

$ convert -strip pic.jpg pic.jpg

The first thing you need to do is run this command from
a terminal:

kde4-config -path services

The output will look something like this:

/home/user/.kde/share/kde4/services/:usr/share/kde4/services/

The first path is for the current user only and the second
path is system wide for all users.

A .desktop file needs to be created and placed in one of
paths from the above command. File is pasted at the end.

The last line specifies the icon to use and is optional.
Point to an icon of your choice or delete the line and
no icon will be used.

The Exec= line does the work. It has not been tested.
I don't have any jpegs with EXIF information. As written
the jpegs will be stripped and the original jpegs will
be overwritten with the modified ones. This behavior
could be changed by tweaking the command. Also this will
work on one or multiple jpegs.

After placing the .desktop file in the proper folder, you
will need to restart Dolphin for it to take effect. The
menu entry will appear under Actions.

If you want to work with other types of images, you will
need to add it to the MimeTypes= line, such as image/png.
Entries should be separated with a semi-colon ";" and a
semi-colon must be at the end of the line. A list of mime
types can be found in /etc/mime.types

----start strip_exif.desktop----
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
Name=convert
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
Actions=Strip;
MimeType=image/jpeg;

[Desktop Action Strip]
Name=StripEXIF
Exec=convert -strip %F %F
Icon=/path/to/icon
----end strip_exif.desktop----

--
Wildman GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!

Old October 30th 14, 09:03 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
A. Beck.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:17:09 +0000, A. Beck. wrote:

The only "ServiceMenus" on my system is in
/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

So, I put it the
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 202 Oct 30 10:15 strip_exif.desktop

Then, I went to a JPG file and right clicked on it.
Nothing changed, so, I may need to reboot & report back.

Nothing. It didn't do anything good. It didn't do
anything bad. It didn't do anything.

Bummer.

Old October 30th 14, 09:14 PM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Wildman

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:03:46 +0000 (UTC)
"A. Beck." wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:17:09 +0000, A. Beck. wrote:

The only "ServiceMenus" on my system is in
/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

So, I put it the
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 202 Oct 30 10:15 strip_exif.desktop

Then, I went to a JPG file and right clicked on it.
Nothing changed, so, I may need to reboot & report back.

Nothing. It didn't do anything good. It didn't do
anything bad. It didn't do anything.

Bummer.

The .desktop file needs to be in the services directory
not ServiceMenus.

Old October 31st 14, 03:15 AM posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
A. Beck.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:31:08 -0500, Wildman wrote:

After placing the .desktop file in the proper folder, you will need to
restart Dolphin for it to take effect. The menu entry will appear under
Actions.

Ah. That may be why it's not working.
I'm using Nautilus, not Dolphin.
http://i60.tinypic.com/a2rz2f.jpg

I forget exactly why Dolphin drove me crazy such that I switched
to Nautilus and was happier ever since, but, I think it was that Dolphin
would not play nice with attached Android file systems (I don't actually
remember what it was but I do know that I was happy w/o Dolphin).

So, it's my fault for not saying that I'm using Nautilus on KDE.

Here's what I did, as per your instructions that worked with Dolphin:
$ kde4-config -path services
= /home/user1/.kde/share/kde4/services/:/usr/share/kde4/services/

$ sudo vi /usr/share/kde4/services/strip_exif.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
Name=convert
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
Actions=Strip;
MimeType=image/jpeg;

[Desktop Action Strip]
Name=StripEXIF
Exec=convert -strip %F %F
Icon=/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/places/folder-pictures-symbolic.svg

$ sudo reboot

Right clicking on a JPEG with EXIF data in Nautilus did nothing new.
But, starting Dolphin manually, I now see the menu!
http://i60.tinypic.com/a2rz2f.jpg

Apparently, I have another menu, so, one of the other tests must also
have worked. Now I have to find that file!

Thanks for your help! Is Nautilus different when it comes to adding
things to the menu?