Still severe problems importing in Lightroom

Old October 28th 14, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Still severe problems importing in Lightroom

So, importing photos in Lightroom isn't easy, at least not for me. Using LR
install on two different machines, so there really can't be a problem with
one specific LR install.

Whenever a directory of images I want to import contains movie files,
seemingly any movie files, the import dialog freezes for a bit, and when it
unfreezes it won't load thumbnails of the photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw4l0lrl9gyf7lb/Screenshot%202014-10-28%2007.39.38.png?dl=0

When I hit import, nothing happens, the progress meter is standing still
and then nothing. In Aperture I always had the progress window to see what
it was currently doing if I needed to troubleshoot something, but Lightroom
doesn't seem to give me any information at all about what it is doing.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 28th 14, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Sandman wrote:

So, importing photos in Lightroom isn't easy, at least not for me. Using LR
install on two different machines, so there really can't be a problem with
one specific LR install.

Whenever a directory of images I want to import contains movie files,
seemingly any movie files, the import dialog freezes for a bit, and when it
unfreezes it won't load thumbnails of the photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw4l0lrl9gyf7lb/Screenshot%202014-10-28%2007.39.38.png?dl=0

When I hit import, nothing happens, the progress meter is standing still
and then nothing. In Aperture I always had the progress window to see what
it was currently doing if I needed to troubleshoot something, but Lightroom
doesn't seem to give me any information at all about what it is doing.

Oh, and another thing, if I pick a directory/memory card containing video
files, the above happens, and then I can't pick any other directory,
regardless of wether they contain video files or not. I have to close the
import dialog and open it again and remember which directory that contained
the video files and avoid it in order to import other photos.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 28th 14, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-28 06:40:58 +0000, Sandman said:

So, importing photos in Lightroom isn't easy, at least not for me. Using LR
install on two different machines, so there really can't be a problem with
one specific LR install.

Whenever a directory of images I want to import contains movie files,
seemingly any movie files, the import dialog freezes for a bit, and when it
unfreezes it won't load thumbnails of the photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw4l0lrl9gyf7lb/Screenshot%202014-10-28%2007.39.38.png?dl=0

When

I hit import, nothing happens, the progress meter is standing still
and then nothing. In Aperture I always had the progress window to see what
it was currently doing if I needed to troubleshoot something, but Lightroom
doesn't seem to give me any information at all about what it is doing.

I don't envy you in having to make this move, and never having Aperture
in my workflow, I can't share your pain or even think of a solution to
your movie file import issue. All I have is this which might or might
not help.
http://landing.adobe.com/dam/downloads/whitepapers/54511.en.switch-from-aperture-to-lightroom.pdf
http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/04/adobe-developing-aperture-to-lightroom-migration-tool-releases-full-transition-guide/

Savageduck

Old October 28th 14, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 10/28/14 PDT, 12:13 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2014-10-28 06:40:58 +0000, Sandman said:

[...]

Can you not manually remove the bloody movies?

Old October 28th 14, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-28 06:40:58 +0000, Sandman said:

[...]

The movie transfer/import issue is actually Jonas' problem not mine. I
am more of a still photo guy.

Personally, if the movie files are a problem (probably because they
might be a tad overweight) I would just uncheck the selection boxes and
try importing them one at a time.

Savageduck

Old October 28th 14, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014102800134442385-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
[...]

Uh, sorry, this is not related at all. The above issues has *nothing* to do
with Aperture. I am talking about the import module in Lightroom importing
files from a memory card or from files on the hard drive, at no point is
Aperture involved in this.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 28th 14, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Savageduck:
On 2014-10-28 06:40:58 +0000, Sandman said:

Sandman:
[...]

Why would you want to remove the movies? If you see the screenshot on
dropbox above, you'll see that each file has a checkbox, so I can certainly
tell Lightroom to ignore the files, but that's not the problem, the problem
is that after having listed a directory or memory card *with* movie files,
Lightroom can not import any files, regardless of checkboxes marked.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 28th 14, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-28 17:47:30 +0000, Sandman said:

[...]

Sorry! I thought you were still dealing with the Aperture/Lightroom transition.

Savageduck

Old October 28th 14, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014102810590318676-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
sorry, this is not related at all. The above issues has *nothing*
to do with Aperture. I am talking about the import module in
Lightroom importing files from a memory card or from files on the
hard drive, at no point is Aperture involved in this.

Sorry! I thought you were still dealing with the Aperture/Lightroom
transition.

Nah, that "transition" took about fifteen minutes and some "how the **** do
I do this in Lightroom?", but these issues are LR-specific only, Aperture
don't have a problem with these files.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 29th 14, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2014-10-28 06:40:58 +0000, Sandman said:

Sandman:
[...]

I'd do so as I don't want my movies in LR.

If you see the screenshot on
dropbox above, you'll see that each file has a checkbox, so I can certainly
tell Lightroom to ignore the files, but that's not the problem, the problem
is that after having listed a directory or memory card *with* movie files,
Lightroom can not import any files, regardless of checkboxes marked.

I'd copy the movies to another place, delete them, and then import.