You dont' find these around much now

Old October 25th 14, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default You dont' find these around much now

On 2014-10-25 03:09:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Taken earlier this week in Little's Drug Store in New Smyrna Beach FL.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...0-22-17-X2.jpg

You are welcome to criticize, condemn, or comment, but not to re-work
the image. I know you can do it better, but leave me the illusion
that I can process an image satisfactorily.

Nice scene & capture.
I won't rework the image, but this is one I think would lend itself to
B&W conversion quite readily.

Savageduck

Old October 25th 14, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:38:45 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-10-25 03:09:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Taken earlier this week in Little's Drug Store in New Smyrna Beach FL.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...0-22-17-X2.jpg

You are welcome to criticize, condemn, or comment, but not to re-work
the image. I know you can do it better, but leave me the illusion
that I can process an image satisfactorily.

Nice scene & capture.
I won't rework the image, but this is one I think would lend itself to
B&W conversion quite readily.

Someone has already started on the floor.

Eric Stevens
Old October 25th 14, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-25 03:09:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Taken earlier this week in Little's Drug Store in New Smyrna Beach FL.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...0-22-17-X2.jpg

You are welcome to criticize, condemn, or comment, but not to re-work
the image. I know you can do it better, but leave me the illusion
that I can process an image satisfactorily.

Nice scene & capture.
I won't rework the image, but this is one I think would lend itself to
B&W conversion quite readily.

Someone has already started on the floor.

Another thought of mine is to do a B&W conversion with the exception of
the lone customer at the counter, making him a live figure in a B&W
scene.

Savageduck

Old October 25th 14, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-10-25 03:09:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Taken earlier this week in Little's Drug Store in New Smyrna Beach FL.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...0-22-17-X2.jpg

You are welcome to criticize, condemn, or comment, but not to re-work
the image. I know you can do it better, but leave me the illusion
that I can process an image satisfactorily.

Nice scene & capture.
I won't rework the image, but this is one I think would lend itself to
B&W conversion quite readily.

Someone has already started on the floor.

Another thought of mine is to do a B&W conversion with the exception of
the lone customer at the counter, making him a live figure in a B&W
scene.

Yep. I would go along with that.

Eric Stevens
Old October 25th 14, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-25 03:09:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Taken earlier this week in Little's Drug Store in New Smyrna Beach FL.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...0-22-17-X2.jpg

You are welcome to criticize, condemn, or comment, but not to re-work
the image. I know you can do it better, but leave me the illusion
that I can process an image satisfactorily.

Nice scene & capture.
I won't rework the image, but this is one I think would lend itself to
B&W conversion quite readily.

Someone has already started on the floor.

Another thought of mine is to do a B&W conversion with the exception of
the lone customer at the counter, making him a live figure in a B&W
scene.

I'm glad I mentioned that this image was not submitted for others to
re-work. A black and white rendition would not work at all for me.

The two-tone version is an appalling thought for two reasons:

1) The man is not the subject of the photo or the point of interest.
2) The photo doesn't need a gimmicky appearance.

This drug store scene is a blast of the past to me. I spent many
hours at drug store counters like this when I was younger. I can put
myself in this photo waiting for a grilled cheese sandwich and a
chocolate milkshake. The waitress will bring the milkshake in the
metal cup right from that green Hamilton Beach blender because there's
more milkshake than the glass will hold.

The colors in this photo are part of the memories associated with the
scene. The red stool seats, the Coca Cola red, the checkerboard tile
floor, and those pale green glasses at the far left are exactly as I
remember. I just wish there was that milkshake blender in the scene
with a can of Horlick's Malt beside it.

The photo is a bit yellowish, or warm, but that doesn't detract for
me. I was only able to fire off one shot. No one chased me out, but
standing there with a camera made me too obvious and I didn't want
people turning to me.

This reminds me of a Norman Rockwell scene (but not rendered as well
as he would), and Rockwell usually took several photographs of the
scenes he intended to paint. Rockwell had an advantage in that he
could bring in characters to set his scene. He could have added a
small boy being treated to a soda by grandpa. Or a cop.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1179719

One

of the reasons I don't like my photographs re-done by others is
that often there's some aspect of the scene that I want to communicate
in the finished image that someone else doesn't feel. A technical
improvement may obscure what I was going for.

I don't mind critiques or suggestions, however harsh, but just don't
do it for me.

OK! OK! Relax. It was just a thought, and I haven't molested your image.

As I said before I think it is a great capture and nicely rendered
image. I too used to enjoy those Saturday Evening Post covers, and your
shot is certainly evocative of some of those.
Anyway enjoy.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 14, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.10.25, 17:06 , Tony Cooper wrote:

This reminds me of a Norman Rockwell scene (but not rendered as well
as he would), and Rockwell usually took several photographs of the
scenes he intended to paint. Rockwell had an advantage in that he
could bring in characters to set his scene. He could have added a
small boy being treated to a soda by grandpa. Or a cop.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1179719

One of the reasons I don't like my photographs re-done by others is
that often there's some aspect of the scene that I want to communicate
in the finished image that someone else doesn't feel. A technical
improvement may obscure what I was going for.

My favourite line from that article: "There were details, accidents of
light, which I'd missed when I'd been able to make only quick sketches
of a setting," Rockwell once said.

Last summer there was a nice exhibit of Rockwell (originals) somewhere
in the Cape Cod that we stumbled on. A lot of the photos used to make
the paintings were on display as well.

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old October 27th 14, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/26/2014 10:25 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

The Rockwill Museum in Stockbridge, MA has a lot of them, as might be
expected.
On Christmas night main streat in the Town of Stockbridge is closed as
this image is recreated, live.
http://stockbridgechamber.org/visit/stockbridge-main-street-at-christmas/

--
PeterN
Old October 30th 14, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

wrote:
: On 2014-10-25 03:48:34 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
:
: On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:38:45 -0700, Savageduck
: wrote:
:
: On 2014-10-25 03:09:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:
:
: Taken earlier this week in Little's Drug Store in New Smyrna Beach FL.
:
: http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Curren...0-22-17-X2.jpg
:
: You are welcome to criticize, condemn, or comment, but not to re-work
: the image. I know you can do it better, but leave me the illusion
: that I can process an image satisfactorily.
:
: Nice scene & capture.
: I won't rework the image, but this is one I think would lend itself to
: B&W conversion quite readily.
:
: Someone has already started on the floor.
:
: Another thought of mine is to do a B&W conversion with the exception of
: the lone customer at the counter, making him a live figure in a B&W
: scene.

It's been done. In "Schindler's List" they arguably had an excuse for it. Here
it would just seem pretentious and silly.

Bob