Help with LR!

Old October 26th 14, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Help with LR!

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:07:31 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 09:16:49 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2014.10.26, 04:22 , Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm aware of that and it even inspired me to go looking for something
to invert the mask, but - as it is supposed to be - there is no such
adjustment.

I was about to write: make sure the Inverse (under Select) is not set
(I'm referring to Photoshop - I don't have LR). That said, take,
perhaps another look:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Says: " You can adjust the portion outside the ellipse by ensuring that
the Invert Mask checkbox is unchecked. By checking the Invert Mask
checkbox, you can make adjustments to the inside of the ellipse."

I was aware of that, and that's what sent me looking for an equivalent
in the brush tool. But the brush doesn't do that, as far as I am
aware.

I shall have to keep digging.

Eureka!

Two total misapprehensions arising, one from Scott Kelby and the other
from Jeff Schewe. I had totally the wrong impression of the way the
adjustment brush worked. A pity if I was wrong. It would be very nice
if I could do what I thought I was able to do.

Many thanks to those who helped me decide I was barking down the wrong
trail.

Eric Stevens
Old October 26th 14, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-26 22:04:36 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 02:27:05 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-10-26 08:22:27 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:35:46 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-10-26 04:07:50 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I'm experimenting with the adjustment brush in the current version of
LR CC 5. Everything is going according to plan I brush the area I want
too affect. Then I increase the contrast. Immediately everything
*outside* the brushed area gets an increase in contrast when I want
the brushed area to get the increase. It's as though the effect of the
brush has been inverted, although everything I have read says this is
impossible in LR. I would be grateful for help or an explanation.

What you have described doesn't make sense for the Adjustment brush.

I agree.

I just checked incase I missed something, and the Adjustment brush
functions as expected for me.

Have you received and installed a PS CC update in the last 24 hours,
or there abouts? I have and it has occurred to me that this just might
be a factor.

Yes, (PS CC (2014)) but that has nothing to do with LR5.

They seem to share ACR in some way. Just a thought.

PS, LR, & Bridge are stand-alone applications and ACR is used
differently in each. Lightroom does not need PS and the ACR plug-in to
function.

ACR in PS & Bridge is a plug-in and both of those cab be used without
addressing ACR unless RAW files are to be opened.

In Lightroom, the ACR RAW conversion engine is an integral part of the
Develop Module & UI, and it does not share the ACR plug-in with PS &
Bridge. Lightroom is a combination of Bridge with a more sophisticated
asset management system, and similar image adjustment capabilities as
ACR, via the ACR RAW conversion engine. You should say that Lightroom
was Bridge, or ACR on steroids.

So the ACR as used in Lightroom has operationally nothing to do with
the ACR plug-in shared and used by PS & Bridge.

One thing to remember any Adjustment
brush adjustments are usually made on top of the Basic adjustments.

That occurred to me that it might be the problem but I have made a
number of basic adjustments and then applied the adjustment brush, and
it still affects the image outside the brush area.

Usually, but not always, I check the "Show Selected Mask Overlay" box
(just below the image window) before making adjustments. That way the
area I want to adjust is masked and shows in red. I then uncheck the
box, the red is turned off and make the adjustments. You shouldn't see
any adjustments outside the masked area.

I don't.

Are you sure you selected the Adjustment brush and not the Radial
filter which is right next to it. That has a check box for inverting
the mask and would behave in the way you describe.

I'm aware of that and it even inspired me to go looking for something
to invert the mask, but - as it is supposed to be - there is no such
adjustment.

Mutter mutter mutter ....

Hmmm...

I just can't imagine what it is that is peculiar to your particular
installation which would lead to the behaviour you have described.

Perhaps the time has come to make that call to Karachi, Mumbai, or
Columbo and speak to customer support.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 14, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Now curious minds want to know. Just what was your eureka moment, and
what lead to the "misapprehensions"?

Details please.

Savageduck

Old October 27th 14, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

BTW: I feel that Matt Kloskowski, and Julieanne Kost provide solid
information when it comes to Lightroom, and some pretty good stuff on
PS.
http://lightroomkillertips.com/category/lightroom-videos/
http://www.mattk.com
http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html#

....and there is always what Adobe provides:
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-5/

Savageduck

Old October 27th 14, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

I was under the misapprehension that the all of the various image
controls were collectively open for the adjustment brush all at the
one time. My 'Eureka' moment was the realisation that you have to
select but the one function via the 'effect' tab in the brush panel.

How I reached the erroneous conclusion I did is too difficult to
explain, but it all made sense at the time.

Details please.

I would have to scan many pages.

Eric Stevens
Old October 27th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 17:14:38 -0700, Savageduck

wrote:

[...]

At the moment I have trouble reading even three things at once.

Eric Stevens
Old October 27th 14, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Sometimes you learn more by watching a video.

Savageduck