OT iOS8.1

Old October 25th 14, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
John McWilliams

Default OT iOS8.1

On 10/24/14 PDT, 7:01 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 10/24/2014 9:50 PM, nospam wrote:

of
that.

it's not me who is being the a-hole.

Deserved response follows:

If you think I will get into a piwwing contest with you, think again.

You've been in it for some time.

Now, chaps, do learn to trim.
Old October 25th 14, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have been involved with speech to text since the first publication
of Dragon Dictate version 1. I used to do a ton of consulting work for
various companies in that business, including the original Dragon,
Phillips, L&H and IBM. I am quite

You are quite what?

Sorry, sent too soon. that should have read: I am quite familiar with
speech to text, from a business and user POV. I used to write macros for
the Dragon and L&H product, for legal, business and medical use.

siri is far more than speech to text, but when have facts mattered to
you.
Old October 25th 14, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

don't blame apple for your own decisions or not reading what goes on
under the hood.

I am putting on my fire resistant suit to protect me from the flames
from the fanbois.

it's not the fanbois who will be flaming you, and they'll be flaming
you for reasons other than you expect.

Typical response from you. Do learn to read.

typical response from you - content free and with your usual
bull****ting.

not only do i know how to read, but i actually *read* apple's security
documentation, something you clearly did not do.

Apple actually confirmed
the issue I stated in my posting, exactly as I stated it.

whomever you spoke with is wrong or you didn't ask what you thought you
asked.

what data apple gets and how long they keep it documented and published
and it's *not* what you claim it to be or what you say apple told you
it is.

Apparently I
got through to the right person at Apple.

apparently not.

Although I never agreed to
thoughs terms,

bull****. you *must* give consent for an app to have access to user
data.

Siri now functions without asking my consent.

you gave it consent, which you can revoke at any time.

Do stop being an A-hole. There is probably not the remotest chance of that.

it's not me who is being the a-hole.

Deserved response follows:

If you think I will get into a piwwing contest with you, think again.

you couldn't piww straight if you tried.
Old October 25th 14, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have been involved with speech to text since the first publication of
Dragon Dictate version 1. I used to do a ton of consulting work for
various companies in that business, including the original Dragon,
Phillips, L&H and IBM. I am quite

you are quite incapable of finishing a post properly.

l&h, eh? so you were involved when they cooked their books and gaston
was arrested? why am i not surprised.

Added to my list for when I decide to find out who you really are and
see whether my pursuit of remedies wod be worthwhile. Most likely it
would not be.

looks like that one was a direct hit.

and backing down so soon? did you finally realize your full of **** and
would be laughed out of the courtroom, if it even got that far?

not only that, but you definitely do not realize just how comical and
thoroughly amusing some of the stuff you say is. if you only knew.

and for those unaware of l&h, here's a quick summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernout_%26_Hauspie
For some time, Lernout & Hauspie was dogged by rumours of financial
impropriety, and in early 1999 the Wall Street Journal ran
allegations in its Heard on the Street column by Goldman Sachs
analyst Robert Smithson that earnings had been overstated. Further
investigation by Wall Street Journal staffer Jesse Eisinger led to
the revelation on 8 August 2000 of a major financial scandal
involving fictitious transactions in Korea and improper accounting
methodologies elsewhere.[2] In April 2001, founders Jo Lernout and
Pol Hauspie, as well as former CEO Gaston Bastiaens, were arrested in
what is considered one of the largest corporate scandals in history
prior to Enron. Lernout & Hauspie finally went bankrupt on 25 October
2001 after having struggled for a year.[3]
Old October 25th 14, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_5_]

On 2014-10-24 19:59:53 +0000, PeterN said:

I know this is an unrelated topic, but privacy is very important to me.

I am informaing all on this list that in order to use Siri with iOS
8.1, I have to give Apple permission to use my contacts & other
personal information for what amounts to whatever it wants to.

How else is Siri going to know that when you say; "Call Bucky" or "Call
Mabel", or Call home" what number to call?

Of course. But prior versions did not transmit my contact list to Apple,
for apple to use "subject to its privacy terms."

Why do you think Siri is transmitting anything to Apple when you say
"Call Bucky"?

The first time I used Siri after upgrading to 8.1 a notice came up
asking for permission for this information to Apple, subject to its
privacy policy. I read the privacy poicy, and did not want to give those
rights to Apple. As I posted earlier the folks at Apple confirmed my
statement.

And if they are, to what nefarious use might they be putting it?

That's not the point. At present, I think that Apple is a responsible
and ethical company. As we all know **** happens. if it does, I don't
want to be involved. Last year one of my credit cards was compromised.
Fortunately the bank realized that the phoney charges could not have
been made by me.

--
PeterN
Old October 25th 14, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/24/2014 10:57 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

And what does that have to do with me?

--
PeterN
Old October 25th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

did you say no to the request?

the choice is *yours* to make whether siri or anything else has access
to personal data, and that does not always mean all of it (or any of
it) is sent to apple.

And if they are, to what nefarious use might they be putting it?

That's not the point.

yes it is the point.

At present, I think that Apple is a responsible
and ethical company. As we all know **** happens. if it does, I don't
want to be involved.

as you often say, 'do learn to read'. you obviously didn't understand
what you read about what data apple collects and does with any
information it might collect and how long it's kept and in what form.

and what **** might happen?

Last year one of my credit cards was compromised.
Fortunately the bank realized that the phoney charges could not have
been made by me.

that happens to many people every single day. credit card security is a
joke in the usa. however, the customer is not liable. the banks eat it.

fortunately, applepay fixes that, making it very easy *and* safe to use
a credit card.
Old October 25th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

you said you consulted for l&h.