Where's Tony Cooper?

Old July 7th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Where's Tony Cooper?

On 7/7/2018 7:02 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 7, 2018, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 06/07/2018 20:29, PeterN wrote:
On 7/3/2018 4:54 AM, David Taylor wrote:

[]
Still have the same outfit here, but more and more I'm drifting to the
Moto G5 phone as the ready-to-go camera, and the compact Panasonic
TZ90 as the "main" camera. It's "good enough" most of the time. Even
the Panasonic GX7 and wide-open pancake lens is staying in its case
more often. Sold almost all the APS-C DSLR stuff. Sad?

I don't think it's sad at all. As we age our lifestyle changes,
sometimes because of physical necessity, and sometimes just personal
preferences. it would be sad if we didn't grow older, or care about
anything.

Sad to discard something of higher quality for lesser. When I see the
minor imperfections in the TZ90 images I can't help but be reminded of
what I /could/ have achieved with earlier kit. But I'm enjoying my
photography even more - not being lumbered with the bulkier and heavier
kit. A friend bought (a few years back) a Nikon 800 and the 28-300 zoom
(IIRC). I could hardly pick it up!

Weight and bulk of my kit was one of my reasons for moving from Nikon DSLR to
Fujifilm mirrorless. With the X-E3 I have a, small form factor, light weight,
APS-C camera with great glass options. Most importantly I have sacrificed
nothing when it comes to image quality, and I have a camera I can carry
effortlessly all day if I have to.

That said I also have the slightly larger X-T2 which is better balanced with
the larger lenses, but remains lighter than the D300S + Battery grip, and
similar lenses.

To my way of thinking, since you like it, and it works for you, that's
the equipment you should use. Unless there is something relevant that I
am not aware of, neither of us will miss a meal because of your
photography methodology.

--
PeterN
Old July 7th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

PeterN wrote:
In my younger days, I walked about half way down the mule trail at the
Grand Canyon, and back up in one day. I carried an Exacta with an 50mm
f.2 Biotar, and six oranges. I could take much better images today with
my D800, but so what?
I guess it's a matter of perspective. "What if" is a pipe dream. To my
way of thinking looking forward to tomorrow is what counts. It would be
sad if I had no tomorrow. As the items in my bucket list decrease solely
because of loss of physical ability, I try to replace them with what I
hope are realistic items.

Indeed. I’ve enjoyed day-hiking for waterfall photos, but the trails are getting
shorter/easier, even after compensating with a lighter tripod to cut the pack weight.

Just as a simple example, I cannot go to the
landing sites to photograph the puffins, nor can I go to on a photo tour
of The Galapagos, but there are still places I can see in our National
parks and Forests,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjiq16lrw6ogiv6/Waterfall%20in%20Nantahala.jpg?dl=0
I can still drive along Route 66; etc.

Best advice we’ve ever gotten on travel was “do the hard stuff while you’re still able to”.
And while that does eventually mean needing to recognize that certain endeavors are
out of reach, it doesn’t mean it has to end as much as it changes. Don’t know if I’d trust
myself be fit enough to hike the Grand Canyon...and while those mules are technically
an alternative, I just don’t know...

-hh
Old July 7th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-07-07 13:14, -hh wrote:

Best advice we’ve ever gotten on travel was “do the hard stuff while you’re still able to”.
And while that does eventually mean needing to recognize that certain endeavors are
out of reach, it doesn’t mean it has to end as much as it changes. Don’t know if I’d trust
myself be fit enough to hike the Grand Canyon...and while those mules are technically
an alternative, I just don’t know...

Depends on your tolerance for the smell of mule **** when it's 40°C and
sunny.

The hike up (north side) is not that strenuous. It's just really long.
The mules **** in the switchbacks and the odor makes me retch.

Bring lots of water.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old July 7th 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2018-07-07 13:14, -hh wrote:

Best advice we’ve ever gotten on travel was “do the hard stuff while
you’re still able to”.
And while that does eventually mean needing to recognize that certain
endeavors are
out of reach, it doesn’t mean it has to end as much as it changes.
Don’t know if I’d trust
myself be fit enough to hike the Grand Canyon...and while those mules
are technically
an alternative, I just don’t know...

Depends on your tolerance for the smell of mule **** when it's 40°C and
sunny.

The hike up (north side) is not that strenuous.* It's just really long.
The mules **** in the switchbacks and the odor makes me retch.

Bring lots of water.

My theory was not to bring too much water, hence the oranges for the
electrolytes. On the way up I passed a guy who was obviously suffering.
I gave him on of my oranges. I told him to eat it slowly. He did, and in
about 15 minutes he was feeling better. I continued up, saw a ranger,
who got him help.

--
PeterN
Old July 7th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/7/2018 1:14 PM, -hh wrote:
PeterN wrote:
[...]

For me they are no alternative. IIRC, they will not take you if you
weigh over 200lbs, including clothing and camera.

I do what I can. I had to stop my SCUBA a few years ago.
However, IMHO there is a big difference between being alive and living.
My personal choice is the latter.

--
PeterN
Old July 8th 18, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/7/2018 2:08 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip

Depends on your tolerance for the smell of mule **** when it's 40°C and
sunny.

You just reminded me of the Brit who lost a spelling bee competition.
He was asked to spell "auspice."

--
PeterN
Old July 8th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]