On1 fixed one big problem with Photo Raw

Old July 1st 18, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default On1 fixed one big problem with Photo Raw

On 6/30/2018 11:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 30, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/30/2018 12:21 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 29, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/29/2018 12:58 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 20:43:15 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jun 28, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

Their new version (2018.5) for Windows finally fixed an issue I
complained to them about at least a year ago. When in develop mode,
and arrow keying through the filmstrip, it changes to the next photo
pretty much instantly now. The delay of at least a few seconds (with
raw files) used to drive me nuts. I'm assuming that they also fixed a
related crash issue, but I haven't checked that yet.

That wasn’t an issue I had noticed with the Mac edition.

2018.5 is also a free upgrade if you own 2018. Some of their
promotional emails seemed to imply that you had to pay for an upgrade.
They also have a promotional price for their latest version of NIK. I
believe it's $49.

They?

These days NIK is owned and distributed/sold by DxO. I seriously doubt
that
On1 has a NIK Collection that they are selling.

Oops - you're right, it's DXO.

I think that most understood you were talking about DXO.m The only
reasons I used it before were for its denoise and lens distortion
correction. Now I find that the new Topaz Denoise works extremely well,
although there is a slight learning curve, and the lens distortion
correction in PS sees to work pretty well.
YMMV

For NR I had used NIK Define, and then Macphun’s (now Skylum) Noisless CK
which is now integrated into Luminar. It is a NR app which can apply a very
adjustable NR either to the entire image, or selectively in a way I find
superior to the way it is done with NIK Define.

I am yet to be sold on Topaz stuff.

Despite Skylum's claims, there are functions that have not yet been
implemented in the PC version. I don't see the need to go into details.

That’s OK, I was just pointing out that the NR within Luminar (the macOS
version anyway) was particularly good, even when compared with NIK Define.

Having said that, I purchased Aurora, and found that it helped to
produce a reasonable HDR image, but I had issues going back an forth
from from Aurora to LR. I contacted Skylum support, and they were aware
of the issue.

I take it you opened Aurora from LR via the Plug-ins Extras menu, rather than
as a standalone?

Yep!

If so are you having issues saving the finished Aurora HDR/or tone mapped
single back to LR?

I save it to the same directory it came from, but have to import the
image into LR. It does not work that way with the Apple O/S.

I would have a similar issue with On1, except that with On1 there is an
"edit in," option and I don't have that issue.

Also, Aurora works as a PS plugin, but every time I tr, it keeps telling
me to update. I Already updated Aurora. I will try again on Monday, as I
have an image that I want to try to tone map with Aurora.
My workaround is a real PITA: open the image in Aurora, make the
adjustments, place the Aurora image as a layer on my PS image and save.
There's gotta be a better way. I am really getting tired of being an
unpaid beta tester. I understand glitches, and that **** happens, but I
think the publisher has an obligation to tell me about known bugs, and
then I can make an informed decision.

Watchagonnado.

Wax philosophical.

--
PeterN
Old July 1st 18, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/30/2018 12:15 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 29, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/28/2018 10:57 PM, Bill W wrote:
Their new version (2018.5) for Windows finally fixed an issue I
complained to them about at least a year ago. When in develop mode,
and arrow keying through the filmstrip, it changes to the next photo
pretty much instantly now. The delay of at least a few seconds (with
raw files) used to drive me nuts. I'm assuming that they also fixed a
related crash issue, but I haven't checked that yet.

2018.5 is also a free upgrade if you own 2018. Some of their
promotional emails seemed to imply that you had to pay for an upgrade.
They also have a promotional price for their latest version of NIK. I
believe it's $49.

According to one of my friends, the $49 bucks, did not get him an
improved product. I will wait and see, i there are any substantial
improvements

It is the same old NIK collection Google bought so they could get their hands
on Snapseed, and then abandoned until they sold it to DxO.

I will say that DxO fixed a few of the issues Google left unfixed for the Mac
edition, and now it works as it should on my Mac, but it is not an earth
shattering revolutionary product. It is all the same stuff. It is just nice
to have some of the tools I had bought from NIK at high prices, and had
become familiar with, working properly again.

I emphasize with your feeling. Fortunately for my wallet, I only
purchased Silver Efex at the student price, because I was taking a photo
course at the Maine Media Workshops. IIRC I bought the rest of the suite
for about a buck and a half at Photo Expo. Several months later they
sold to Google. I complained about being overcharged, and they gave me a
refund of about $50.

My only complaint about the NIK collection is that i keep getting an
annoying pop up window every time I open PS.

--
PeterN
Old July 1st 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

Yup! On1, Exposure X3, and Luminar all behave nicely with LR.

Also, Aurora works as a PS plugin, but every time I tr, it keeps telling
me to update. I Already updated Aurora.

That is strange. I would delete the plugin from PS and reinstall from the
latest Aurora edition you have.

I will try again on Monday, as I
have an image that I want to try to tone map with Aurora.
My workaround is a real PITA: open the image in Aurora, make the
adjustments, place the Aurora image as a layer on my PS image and save.
There's gotta be a better way. I am really getting tired of being an
unpaid beta tester. I understand glitches, and that **** happens, but I
think the publisher has an obligation to tell me about known bugs, and
then I can make an informed decision.

Watchagonnado.

Wax philosophical.

Savageduck

Old July 1st 18, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I gather you meant “empathize”?

Fortunately for my wallet, I only
purchased Silver Efex at the student price, because I was taking a photo
course at the Maine Media Workshops. IIRC I bought the rest of the suite
for about a buck and a half at Photo Expo. Several months later they
sold to Google. I complained about being overcharged, and they gave me a
refund of about $50.

My only complaint about the NIK collection is that i keep getting an
annoying pop up window every time I open PS.

Fortunately it is easily minimized, and retrievable when needed.

Savageduck

Old July 1st 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/1/2018 12:57 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]