Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Applecomputers

Old May 14th 18, 08:18 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
David B.[_2_]

Default Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Applecomputers

On 14/05/2018 01:35, Tyrone F. Horneigh wrote:
On 5/13/18 4:09 AM, David B. wrote:

I've no doubt forgotten more about computers that you have ever learned!

You wish.

Oh dear. :-( Seems I got that wrong. My apologies.

The strange thing is, my computer seems to be working perfectly WITHOUT
that script you mention. There's a question about it he-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...k-my-question/

Can YOU answer it?

Btw, your 'handle' meant absolutely nothing to me until just now!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arte_Johnson

Discuss the EBCDIC character set differences between an IBM 129
keypunch/verifier and a Honeywell 200 mainframe.

What is the difference between a JP and JR instruction in Z80 assembly,
and why would you use one over the other?

Wire wrapping a computer board was a slow and error-prone process, but
the end result had a distinct advantage over printed circuits at the
time.Â*Â* What was that?

What were the pros and cons of 8 inch floppy drives, compared to 5.25 inch?

What is a logic probe?

Why did Apple switch processors in 2005?

What is the purpose of the following code?

##
# Common setup for startup scripts.
##
# Copyright 1998-2002 Apple Computer, Inc.
##

#######################
# Configure the shell #
#######################

##
# Be strict
##
#set -e
set -u

##
# Set command search path
##
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/libexec:/System/Library/CoreServices;
export PATH

##
# Set the terminal mode
##
#if [ -x /usr/bin/tset ] && [ -f /usr/share/misc/termcap ]; then
#Â*Â*Â* TERM=$(tset - -Q); export TERM
#fi

####################
# Useful functions #
####################

##
# Determine if the network is up by looking for any non-loopback
# internet network interfaces.
##
CheckForNetwork()
{
Â*Â*Â* local test

Â*Â*Â* if [ -z "${NETWORKUP:=}" ]; then
Â*Â*Â* test=$(ifconfig -a inet 2/dev/null | sed -n -e '/127.0.0.1/d' -e
'/0.0.0.0/d' -e '/inet/p' | wc -l)
Â*Â*Â* if [ "${test}" -gt 0 ]; then
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* NETWORKUP="-YES-"
Â*Â*Â* else
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* NETWORKUP="-NO-"
Â*Â*Â* fi
Â*Â*Â* fi
}

alias ConsoleMessage=echo

##
# Process management
##
GetPID ()
{
Â*Â*Â* local program="$1"
Â*Â*Â* local pidfile="${PIDFILE:=/var/run/${program}.pid}"
Â*Â*Â* localÂ*Â*Â*Â* pid=""

Â*Â*Â* if [ -f "${pidfile}" ]; then
Â*Â*Â* pid=$(head -1 "${pidfile}")
Â*Â*Â* if ! kill -0 "${pid}" 2 /dev/null; then
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* echo "Bad pid file $pidfile; deleting."
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* pid=""
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* rm -f "${pidfile}"
Â*Â*Â* fi
Â*Â*Â* fi

Â*Â*Â* if [ -n "${pid}" ]; then
Â*Â*Â* echo "${pid}"
Â*Â*Â* return 0
Â*Â*Â* else
Â*Â*Â* return 1
Â*Â*Â* fi
}

##
# Generic action handler
##
RunService ()
{
Â*Â*Â* case $1 in
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* startÂ* ) StartServiceÂ*Â* ;;
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* stopÂ*Â* ) StopServiceÂ*Â*Â* ;;
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* restart) RestartService ;;
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ) echo "$0: unknown argument: $1";;
Â*Â*Â* esac
}

--

A real puzzle to *ME* - how can my Apple computer work *without* it?!!!

I have found this, but it doesn't answer my question - or does it? ;-)

https://scriptingosx.com/2018/02/set...th-in-scripts/

--
David B.
Old May 14th 18, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 2018-05-11 5:04 AM, David B. wrote:
Use common sense and caution when you use your Mac, just like you
would in any social context. There is no product, utility, or magic
talisman that can protect you from all the evils of mankind!

*

There will always be threats to your information security associated
with using any Internet-connected communications tool:

1. You can mitigate those threats by following commonsense practices.

2. Delegating that responsibility to software is an ineffective
defense!

3. Assuming that any product will protect you from those threats is
a hazardous attitude that is likely to result in neglecting point #1
above.

Do you rely on your wife for protecting your iMac, we all know you
have absolutely zero common sense?

No. My wife never uses my iMac.

You do not trust her with it?Â* She must be smarter than you.

Of course I'd trust her with it, but she prefers to use her iPad.

Mind you, there been some interesting events involving the use of
computers in 'The Bridge' of late. Have you watched it?
http://nordicnoir.tv/tv-shows/the-bridge/

I haven't and I could quite understand the Synopsis.

During a blackout, the body of a woman is found in the middle of the Øresund Bridge, between Sweden and Denmark. Half of it belongs to a Swedish politician, the other half to a Danish prostitute.
I;m confused.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the series, Dave. Series 4 has just
started on BBC TV. In the last month, though, my wife and I have watched
all of Series 1 and 2 and now most of Series 3. Gripping stuff, all
available available on iPlayer!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-1

To investigate the cases we've seen, there are detectives from both
Sweden and Denmark working together as a team and active in both countries.

But just because somethings shown on TV it doesn't mean it's real or possible.

Agreed - but in the scenario I was thinking of it *IS* possible to view
activity in an adjacent property from the comfort of ones own home -
images from video cameras in the nearby property being shown on a
computer screen in ones study/den.

I don't want to give away what actually happens!

Old May 14th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 2018-05-11 5:04 AM, David B. wrote:
[...]

I;m a bit fed up with police type dramas there's so many of them.

In the last month, though, my wife and I have watched
all of Series 1 and 2 and now most of Series 3. Gripping stuff, all
available available on iPlayer!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-1

To investigate the cases we've seen, there are detectives from both
Sweden and Denmark working together as a team and active in both countries.

Not sure if I want to commit to another drawn out cop drama lastign god knows how long.

The last series - 4 - is going to be the LAST (so I've read).

I;m still confused by this :-
During a blackout, the body of a woman is found in the middle of the Øresund Bridge, between Sweden and Denmark. Half of it belongs to a Swedish politician, the other half to a Danish prostitute.
I'm confused.
Is it the bridge that one half belongs Swedish politician and the other half the Danish prostitute or are we talking about two halves of this one corpse ?

Ah! We're talking about the corpse! ;-)

I found this which may help you:-

• The bodies of Kerstein Ekwell, the chairman of Malmo council and
Monique Brammer, a prostitute and drug addict, are found in the middle
of the Oresund bridge joining Denmark and Sweden after a 48-second blackout.

• Ekwell went missing between 6.30pm and midnight, when her body was
found. She was seen getting into a black Cadillac from which her body
was dumped.

• Brammer went missing 13 months ago, but after a police operation in
which just two prostitutes and a neighbour were interviewed, the case
was shelved.

• Both were cut in half at a Copenhagen slaughterhouse. Brammer's body
was put in a deep freeze.

• The murderer used the car of the deeply unpleasant journalist Daniel
Ferbé, in which he (or possibly she?) then planted a fake bomb and a CD
with a message for the police.

• The murderer set up Swedish and Danish websites to spread his message
– that we are not equal before the law. The servers were traced back to
Copenhagen Police Headquarters, at which point the sites were taken offline

• The message on the CD was recorded by an actor three-and-a-half years
ago, using a script left in a PO Box.

• A note found with the other half of Ekwell's body said: "Had there
been no victims, you would have found no victims."

• Danish detective Martin Rohde has found Brammer's diary.

• There are no clues on Ekwell's mobile, cards or computers.

• The murderer has now progressed to poisoning homeless people by
leaving bottles of wine on street corners.

• He sent Ferbé statistics on homelessness – telling the journalist he
was "a protector of truth".

But just because somethings shown on TV it doesn't mean it's real or possible.

Agreed - but in the scenario I was thinking of it *IS* possible to view
activity in an adjacent property from the comfort of ones own home -
images from video cameras in the nearby property being shown on a
computer screen in ones study/den.

I've just been watching my cat at home on the table from my workplace.
Hardly 'new' tech .

There ya go! ;-)

I don't want to give away what actually happens!

Dontl do that in case I decide to give it a try.

OK :-)

To be absolutely honest, I didn't watch the first two episodes and only
sat to watch the rest at the insistence of my wife. I've found it
gripping - you'll soon discover if you like it; you may end up like us -
watching 3 or 4 episodes at one sitting!

Cheers!

--
D.

On 2018-05-11 5:04 AM, David B. wrote:
[...]

OK that's useful to know, as long as it;s not like game of throngs in that it never seems to end glad I avoided that one, and the one set on an island 'Lost' that was the in thing a few years ago.

Just be careful looking up detail on-line. There's lots of 'spoilers'
which you do NOT want to see if you do choose to watch the series.

I too got hooked on Lost - never did get to see the end! ;- ))

I;m still confused by this :-
During a blackout, the body of a woman is found in the middle of the Øresund Bridge, between Sweden and Denmark. Half of it belongs to a Swedish politician, the other half to a Danish prostitute.
I'm confused.
Is it the bridge that one half belongs Swedish politician and the other half the Danish prostitute or are we talking about two halves of this one corpse ?

Ah! We're talking about the corpse! ;-)

I found this which may help you:-

cheers that helped.

[...]

No this is confusing how to they know it's him putting out wine bottles when there;s no clue to who he is.
Maybe I'll get it if I watch it.

Don't leave it too long. I'm not sure how much longer it will be on iPlayer.

But just because somethings shown on TV it doesn't mean it's real or possible.

Agreed - but in the scenario I was thinking of it *IS* possible to view
activity in an adjacent property from the comfort of ones own home -
images from video cameras in the nearby property being shown on a
computer screen in ones study/den.

I've just been watching my cat at home on the table from my workplace.
Hardly 'new' tech .

There ya go! ;-)

I can now watch here sleep in HD :-D

I presume you refer to a female pussy cat?!!

I don't want to give away what actually happens!

Dontl do that in case I decide to give it a try.

OK :-)

To be absolutely honest, I didn't watch the first two episodes and only
sat to watch the rest at the insistence of my wife. I've found it
gripping - you'll soon discover if you like it; you may end up like us -
watching 3 or 4 episodes at one sitting!

I've dome that with a few series.

I Claudius, Battlestar Galatica, our friends in the north.

Haha! :-)

Take care.

--
D.