Old January 1st 05, 01:11 PM
Mike Henley

Mxsmanic wrote:
Mike Henley writes:

I guess ths is the type of images that were unsuitable for

publication.

There are zillions of images like this that are never used by the

media.
All disasters produce some pretty horrific images, but only the most
inoffensive among them are usually published. This one apparently was
taken by Darren Whiteside for Reuters in Banda Aceh on December 29
(according to the file information).

This was Banda Aceh?

Wow, Banda Aceh was badly hit, as it was so close to the epicenter.

I just saw a video from Banda Aceh on the 26th! Very heart-wrenching.
The violence of the water in the video if you look closely at it is
staggering. There's what I think is a child crying and a woman calming
him. I think he lost his parents; I don't know indonesian but he said
what sounded like "mama, papa" while watching the water :-(

(links all same video - just different mirror)
http://steelerdirtfreak.com/videos/KATC.wmv
http://gloubinet.free.fr/tsunami/03.katc.wmv
http://www.kba-solutions.ru/ThaiVideo/KATC.wmv

And here's a PDF of satellite images of the before and after the
tusnami in Banda Aceh
http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/t...ami_Damage.pdf

And here's an image of the grand mosque that appears in the satellite
photos
http://tinypic.com/159dlk

For those who'd like to know what the image contains before viewing

it,
it's a portrait-oriented color photo of the beach, with innumerable
human cadavers crowded together amongst debris from buildings,

floating
in the water. Most are somewhat bloated and blackened by advancing
decomposition (remember, this is 4 days after the tsunami) and

floating
face-down in the water. Presumably they mainly drowned or died of
internal injuries after being stuck by debris, as very few of them

show
any signs of gross injury externally.

I'm sure this type of image won't make it to most media outlets, but

think it's very important that photojournalists take such pictures

for
information and reference.

From a technical standpoint, the photo is unremarkable; clearly, it's
just intended as documentation.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me

directly.