Old January 1st 05, 12:58 PM
Sergio La Marca

We were floored. Also floored that nobody else cared to take Sadddam out,
even though he murdered **countless** thousands.
-Which is one of MANY reasons we are now there.
Oh.....
You mean you didn't notice the DELIBERATE tragedy under Saddam, but we
should now object to tragedies which come in spite of attempts to avoid,
right?
Interesting.

Tens of thousands of innocent women and children killed by
occupying forces, but no-one gives a toss, cos photos of their
dead bodies aren't being shown in the media.

Yes they are.
Tens of thousands (assuming that's accurate) is very very sad, and

actively
avoided by "occupying forces" with a few exceptions. Still, that is a
comparatively tiny number compared with the horror Saddam unleashed there
during his many years in power. I find it interesting that you're not

upset
by hundreds of thousands of deaths under Saddam.
Try to keep a bit of perspective.

Hi all, I also think the photo was disturbing indeed but needed to be seen,
by adult people at least.
We all try to imagine the vastness of the distruction there but I think
noone without preceding experiences in disasters can truly come near the
real situation. So a photo does help.
As for the point made in the last message, here are my two cents.
As a long-term human rights activist I've come across discussions like these
many times. Every part has its reasons and fierce patrioctical feelings or
equally felt pacifist ideas can flame the discussion. I have long ago, in my
conscience, settled on a practical way to take part on such arguments. I've
taken the Human Rights Declarations as a non-trespassable line against which
to check every action. If it agrees with HRD, it's ok, if it doesn't agree,
it is questionable (not absolutely wrong, look, but surely questionable...)
So I wouldn't see killing thousands of people *better* than killing tens of
thousands, or object to the latter more in perspective than object to the
former... Every single life and every single person counts and has to be
preserved, no matter the effort it may take on our part. That's my thought,
anyway. Now we should all do what we can to help those unfortunate people,
and not forget all the others in so many countries (not counting our own
neighborood...) whose tragedies we do not know from the media.
Best wishes to all.
Sergio La Marca
Italy