Old May 7th 15, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Matching the aspect of ancient photographs.

In article , Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Peter Jason:
I have some old photos of my locality going
back about 70 years.

I want to compare these old scenes with their modern
equivalents.

How does one position a camera (and lens) to match the
ancient scenes so that the old & current images are
superimposable (or nearly so).

Peter

Sandman:
You take a wider shot and then crop. Photoshop
can help you fix perspective differences as well, but the
closer you are to the same spot when you take the pic, the
better.

Floyd L. Davidson:
You can't change the perspective in post
processing.

Sandman:
With modern software, you can.

Floyd L. Davidson:
You can not.

Sandman:
Incorrect.

Floyd L. Davidson:
Take a picture of a car parked in front of your house from
across the street with a 105mm macro lens. You'll be able to
see a great deal of your house.

Now use the same camera and lens to take a picture of the same
car, except shoot from 3 inches away from the car door at the
door's midpoint. You won't be able to even see your house, much
less any of it's details.

That is the perspective which is important in recreating an
older image. It depends entirely on the location of the camera
when the picture is taken. It cannot be adjusted even slightly
in post processing.

Sandman:
Learn to read, Floyd.

Yeah, right!

Sandman bites the dust... one more time. (And poor nospam goes
too.)

Will you let us know if you get the chance to learn to read anytime soon?

I'm not holding my breath.

--
Sandman