Old August 28th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default 35mm film VS digital

"danny" wrote:
Film is still better than digital. You can scan film negatives at 9600 DPI.
Most digital cameras only give you 72 DPI.

I ask you... Which would you rather have... 9600 DPI or 72 DPI? The answer
is pretty obvious.

The scanned 9600 DPI image will not have better resolution than
the negative, and the 35mm negative doesn't have as much
resolution as a modern 35mm sized electronic sensor.

Further, the DPI resolution listed in the Exif data on digital
cameras has no relationship to image resolution. It only a way
to automatically determine a size for printing (by dividing the
pixel dimensions by the DPI value), but it is usually ignored.

If you would like I can produce an image from a Nikon D3 (which
natively puts "300" in the Exif data for X and Y resolution)
that has been changed to 100,000 DPI. It will still be exactly
the same image though... and technically (with 4288 pixels
across on a 1.42" wide sensor) is about 3020 DPI, but of course
just as the film negative does not have that much resolution,
neither does the image recorded by the electronic sensor.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)