Old November 9th 18, 08:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

Default Beer with me

On 09/11/2018 03:03, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 12:28:23 +1000, alvey wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 19:54:54 -0500, Tony Cooper wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 19:51:01 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

In the US, a person who orders a beer in a bar

You can ignore this thread.

Why? It's more interesting than a lot of the usual drivel.

Anyway, to posit an answer... There's far more choices of beer in the UK
than there are in the USA and it's not uncommon for drinkers to have
different beers in different pubs. Or even in the same pub. The UK pub
scene is grand. There's usually a vast choice within walking distance of
home and the tone is much more relaxed and happily sociable than any other
country I've drunk in.

Yes, although pubs have been taking a hit for some years now with many
closures - especially in London.

There's been a drive towards chain pubs - they do some marvellous things
with old buildings (especially banks now they're no longer needed in the
same way), but the quality and atmosphere is what you might expect with
cheap beer.

Where I live (Sheffield, S. Yorkshire) there's still a good selection -
maybe 6 decent pubs within 10 minutes walk for me.

I generally stick to the one I like - I prefer 'malty' but there's a
recent trend towards 'hoppy' - it's very rare that I can't find a beer I
like.

I've been to the UK several times, but always had a problem knowing
what beer to order. When I found one I liked, the temptation was to
order that same one again, but the other temptation to try something
else looking for one even better.

It's entirely acceptable to ask for a taste before you buy.

I've never been one to go to bars in the US. Too often they are dark
and noisy. Pubs, though are a joy to visit.

Generally I'd agree - not had that much experience of US bars though,
and my London experience (having lived there 20 years) is not especially
good.

--
Cheers, Rob