Old October 31st 18, 03:45 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
pyotr filipivich

Default JPG/Mayayana "discussion" (was: Cropping 50 images to the same bottom left corner)

"Mayayana" on Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:27:42
-0400 typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
"pyotr filipivich" wrote

| Red Hat sold tech support. You need a change, they'd provide it
| "for a fee". Or you could write it yourself. Open Source.

I don't know all the details, but it sounds to me
like they were twisting the rules a bit, selling an
OS with support while giving away Fedora. It's
not really so different from Microsoft. The latter
sells a product and provides support free. The former
sells support and provides the product free.

https://www.redhat.com/en/store

Pretty expensive for free stuff.
They also have subscriptions. What are they selling
if Linux is OSS? Apparently they *officially* sell their
trademarked artwork (Red hat logos) because that's
the only part that one can't share with friends. One
can have Red Hat free from CentOS, minus the logos.

Giving it away, along with patches, then selling
support separately, would have been the honest
approach. Just as Google's Android is based
on Linux and theoretically OSS. Yet who can actually
choose how it runs? Phone makers in the US are
required to install Google's software. In the EU
they only recently got the right not to. In some
ways that's more restrictive than Windows. And
the spyware is undoubtedly much worse... Good
old OSS.

I'm going to quibble that anything can be "tweaked" out of
recognition. E.G., Google Android may be "open source" but good luck
changing the software on your mobile device.
--
pyotr filipivich