Old September 13th 17, 10:38 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Andre G. Isaak

Default Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

In article ,

On 2017-09-12 20:18:54 +0000, David Empson said:
Andre G. Isaak wrote:
In article ,
(David Empson) wrote:
In article ,
On 2017-09-12 00:31:19 +0000, Chaya Eve said:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:20:39 -0600, "Andre G. Isaak"

wrote:

I pointed out already that DIN *is* included with Macs.

Thanks for clarifying that a DIN font is included native with the
Mac. You're the only Mac expert here who knew that. Even the
Windows experts didn't know that a DIN 1451 compatible font exists
on Windows (named Barnshrift) until you mentioned the DIN
compatible font on the Mac.

Since the name may make all the difference in compatibility, do you
know the name of that DIN 1451 compatible font on the Mac?

There is no "DIN" font installed by default on the Mac. You can
download it and it may be installed by some third-party applications.

There are no doubt lots of fonts that are close enough to be lookalikes.

I just double checked. DIN is definitely installed in /Library/Fonts.

I verified this against the Sierra and Yosemite installers. It is
present in both.

That is correct, but the font cannot be selected by the user in recent
OS versions: DIN Alternate Bold and DIN Condensed Bold don't show up in
Font Book, nor in font selection menus in application. They also don't
show up if attempting to install the same files as a user font.

This is a known bug. Simply rename the font files and they will work.

Thanks for clarifying it for me. Based on details in your other post, it
would be an easy bug for Apple to fix. Low priority, I suppose.

This is consisent with those fonts being retained for use in existing
documents when referenced by name, but not being available for use in
new documents, as described in the Sierra support document for a long
list of other fonts.

Compatibility fonts are stored in /Library/Application
Support/Apple/Fonts/ whereas DIN is installed in /Library/Fonts/

Good to know, thanks.

It still makes this font difficult to use for the application in
question, because the font will appear to be unavailable on the majority
of Macs unless someone jumps through hoops to install a renamed copy.

It also seems a bit peculiar that the DIN fonts (and a few others) *do*
appear in Microsoft Office apps^ and that they are no longer listed by
Apple as being a standard Mac OS X font in Sierra.

That would *seem* to indicate that the font is actually installed by
Microsoft Office and is only meant to be used within those apps.

Microsoft Office keeps its private fonts within folders inside the
individual application bundles (and DIN isn't included there), and I've
verified that the font *is* installed by the Sierra installer (both by
looking in the installer itself and by checking various VMs I have lying
around which don't have office installed). In addition, the version
number of the font corresponds to apple numbering schemes.

Unlike Pages, Textedit, etc., Office doesn't rely on CoreText to create
its font menus, but rather uses its own routines. I suspect that's why
the font shows up in Office applications.

Andre

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail service.