Old January 26th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Return to film... True!

"random user 12987" wrote in message

I am fed up with the processing of my images going on without my knowledge
by a computer I can't program.

huh?

I just saw 1600 frames one of my contract photographers shot off for
Australia day and there are a few hundred out of focus, a few hundred with
uncontrollable crowd intervention and maybe 50 I might have use for. He

used
a $5000(AUD) 5D with a $2600(AUD) lens and $1000 (AUD) worth of CFCs to do
the deed. Not to mention the $850(AUD) speedlite to (try and) overcome the
****ty dynamic range of the camera.

Just because a poor photographer is using a digital camera doesn't mean
digital is bad. If he was shooting film it would have cost a lot more in
film for him to get that many crappy shots.

So you prove a point - having expensive equipment doesn't make you a good
photographer. Imagine what a waste a large format would be in this guy's
hands.

I have come to the conclusion that whilst there are many who will always
expect you to use the very latest equipment, there are also those who
recognize the subtle difference between a hand crafted enlargement and a
digital print. Demonstrably, there are enough of these people around to
allow this old bugger to keep his passion alive for another few years yet.
Besides, being one of the last in town to be using film and MF at that,
might also give me and edge!

For fine art there is no substitute for hand crafted enlargements. For a
bunch of stupid wedding photos there is no substitute for churning the most
photos with the least amount of work. The more they buy, the more they pay,
the less work you have to do, the more you get paid per hour. g

I always had a problem using 35mm as a medium for serious photography.
Although I used 35mm SLRs for many things, my serious and professional

work
was always with medium and large format cameras.

Ah, an elitest.

certainly would have had problems with the suntan oil on skin,
blowing away the specula highlights.

Probably. Film will have this advantage for quite some time.

Take away the digital shots and I still have 80% sales from film cameras

as
opposed to ones from digital cameras. I don't make enough to be bothered

by
a 20% drop in sales for a saving in equipment cost of the magnitude of my
investment.

Probably what people are missing is the fact that photography is about
patience - art takes time. Digital plays into the "i want it now"
mentality.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions