Old June 24th 04, 12:51 AM
Frank ess

Default Will digital photography ever stabilize?

Jimmy Smith wrote:
"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Jimmy Smith wrote:
The DSLRs available today are spectacular.

They are huge and heavy, with no live preview and no fold out LCD
screen. They are like horse carriages with a combustion engine
added. My guess is that in a few years the DSLR design will evolve
into something more advanced and DSLRs will look less like film
cameras.

Before I bought my DSLR I thought I'd miss the LCD preview screens on
my video camera or PnS. Once I put the DSLR to my eye and took 10 to
20 shots I was sold. The speed and directness is incredible. No
matter what the lighting situation, I see it and I snap it, again and
again and again and again and again....... with more accessible
creative input and a powerful selection of glass. Now, I DO need to
pay for the privalege. But, it's like a Porsche. If you understand
what it can do, if you appreciate what it can do, if you get off on
what it can do.............. there IS no substitute.

And, truth be told, 80% of Porsche owners/drivers/admirers/appreciators
have neither the wherewithal nor the opportunity to come even close to
the edge of the envelope, what-it-can-do-wise. So all that
non-substitutable potency is going to waste in Porscheland and DSLRland.
Or being burned up in talk.

But the manufacturers/distrubutors/dealers/restorers are exce$$ively
happy. And we self-congratulators (*I* chose the *best possible*
equipment; *my* unsubstitutable is better than yours) get to give
ourselves plenty of not-so-subtle pats on the back (we really need the
exercise, too).

Make that 90%. Maybe 95%.

Jimmy

PS IMHO, a fold out LCD on a DSLR would be a gross insult. Kinda
like chrome bumpers on a Porsche. icky
--

And here I thought the photograph was the important part. I mean the lap
time.

Wait. Let me put on *my* snob hat: No photograph is worthwhile unless it
is made with an ultra-expensive DSLR/lens combo, the more exclusive, the
better the photograph; no automobile *divertissement* is worthwhile if
performed in a vehicle with value less than (enter your own unreachable
dollar amount)—with the top down. A *real* top, not some sun/moon roof
or (shudder) *Targa* top.

So, are you the real Jimmy Smith, or is that other guy?

Frank ess