Old September 18th 13, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default [SI] New Mandate: "For Sale"

says...

On 2013-09-18 03:29:31 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

If there is something in there about private sales please trim the rest
and point it out. Cutting and pasting vast quantities of legalese
without isolating the part that supports your argument suggests that you
have not read it, and I can't be assed to wade through it to see if you
actually found something relevant.

I have more than read it, Living in California and being a gun owner I
actually comprehend it. As a retired peace officer I actually take the
time to read most of the laws, codes, and regulations which impact my
life. I copied the entire section as it covered the procedure for
purchase, private sale, and transfer between family members for
firearms in California. It is not always the best move to ignore
verbiage because you consider it legalese.

Here is the bit pertaining to private sales:

"It is illegal for any person who is not a California licensed firearms
dealer (private party) to sell or transfer a firearm to another
non-licensed person (private party) unless the sale is completed
through a licensed California firearms dealer. A ?Private Party
Transfer? (PPT) can be conducted at any licensed California firearms
dealership that sells handguns. The buyer and seller must complete the
required DROS document in person at the licensed firearms dealership
and deliver the firearm to the dealer who will retain possession of the
firearm during the mandatory 10-day waiting period. In addition to the
applicable state fees, the firearms dealer may charge a fee not to
exceed $10 per firearm for conducting the PPT."

Naturally there are going to be firearms which are obtained illegally
in California and there are consequences when those are discovered.
There are also implications for those gun owners living in other states
who change residence to California.

I see nothing in there that make the law enforceable. As written it is
a symbolic gesture. Our hypothetical Grandma is unlikely to be aware of
that procedure and being unaware of it is not going to follow it. So
what do you do about her? And if the firearm in question is never used
in the commission of crime subsequently, how does the state even become
aware that she did it?

As a retired peace officer I would expect you above all people to
understand the problem with enforcing that law.