Old February 22nd 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default NY Times: "Digital Moves to Top-Tier Cameras"

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:36:14 -0800, Gordon Moat
wrote:

It would be very interesting if some university statistics students ran
a data gathering investigation of EBAY, maybe just being specific with
35 mm SLRs, or even just Nikon SLRs that still function. EBAY is very
strict on not providing statistics on buying habits broken down to
specific data sets. If I were to guess, I would imaging there are more
usable Nikon film cameras sold on EBAY world-wide each year than what
Nikon sell new . . . just a guess, but probably would be surprising numbers.

Gordon,

It would not be that hard to collect statistics on completed ebay
auctions. While Ebay might not want to provide detailed statistics,
any person in effect could compile these statistics. The only
difficult part might be tying together price and condition of the item
under bid, since you would have to rely on the seller's description.

I'm not sure that more Nikon cameras are sold on ebay each year than
by Nikon. For SLRs along you would be talking about easily 400K, may
be more. That would be over a thousand a day on Ebay and I don't
think Ebay sales come close to that amount.

But Nikon still wins, even with all those EBay sales. All those new
camera owners need lenses, and some of them will be bought new. And
you know how it is with NAS. You're hooked for life! :-)

Father Kodak