Old February 21st 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default NY Times: "Digital Moves to Top-Tier Cameras"

Using the term "Top-Tier" is somewhat laughable, though in all not too
bad an article with an overview of the industry. I think it actually
raises more questions than it answers.

Sony are the main imaging chip supplier to Nikon. Samsung have been
supplying chips for smaller compact cameras, but can easily move into a
higher level now with the help of Pentax, though the Pentax name brand
might need to remain in some markets. Panasonic has been making chips
for quite some time, and had a nice lens design relationship with Leica,
though now align themselves more with Olympus. The Olympus 4/3 system
cameras have used Kodak imaging chips.

So it seems that Olympus could stop being a customer for Kodak imaging
chips, and while it might seem a stretch perhaps Sony and Nikon could
part ways. Canon already make their own imaging chips for their D-SLRs.
Okay, so here is the stretch in imagination, and it might be a good 18
to 24 months . . . with Kodak ceasing their Nikon mount D-SLRs, yet
still producing large imaging chips, it seems that it might be natural
for Nikon to source imaging chips from Kodak, at least at the high end
(true high end) of D-SLRs. That move could also easily allow a shift to
full frame chips, since Kodak has been making those for several years
for medium format digital back users (starting at an 11 MP 24 mm by 36
mm chip they still produce, and upwards from there).

What is interesting about PMA is the focus on consumer gear. Sure, that
is the main part of the show, but some other news seems to have been
missed. Perhaps everyone on this newsgroup stopped using film?

Both Fuji and Kodak announced new films . . . yes, films. I recall many
stating that film R&D stopped years ago, and to not expect any new
emulsions. Well, when a new film gets released, it means at least five
years worth of available product. So while ISO 400 and ISO 800 films
don't generally excite me much, I did notice a new ISO 64 Tungsten film
.. . . . . . It has been a while since I used any Tungsten film, but for
some reason I want to get some of this to try. I will probably start
with the 35 mm size, but I am tempted to run some through my 4x5.

So a little weird bit of outside reality. In San Diego, which should not
be used as a model for any general trends (except high prices), I have
recently noticed many more old film SLRs in use. While that might not
sound surprising, the part about it that surprised me a little is that
people fresh out of high school are the ones picking up on this. Even
the professional lab I used made a comment about it. So I asked a few
people last night at this one cafe' I frequent, and the answer to why an
old film SLR brought some not too surprising answers. One was the low
cost for things that seemed to be made very high quality; with the
average mobile phone barely lasting more than one year prior to
replacement, that old metal and heavy glass seemed very different.
Second point was a sense of control; these younger adults grew up with
computers, and even spend countless hours on them, yet they wanted
something they controlled completely; even to the point of acknowledging
that some of the old cameras they chose could be used wrongly very
easily; in other words it took effort to master the old gear. The third
item was that it got them "old school" photos just by dropping off the
film somewhere; which also meant less time on the computer, and gave
them images to just pass around to show to friends.

Anyway, it was probably an anomaly just happening in San Diego, and
mainly just downtown areas and at the beaches. It would surprise me to
hear about any similar trends in any other city . . . maybe it is the
strange weather we have experienced lately . . . or I could blame it on
El Nin~o.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio