Old March 7th 04, 10:03 PM
BEllis60

Default Digital cameras hold value?

Then why would you even read a thread about the subject? ;-)

I read all of your messages when I see them, especially when they involve
digital photography. I often find them amusing.

I've bought at least a dozen cameras over the
years that I found out later I didn't really like and was able to sell

then
with no loss.

You've bought at least a dozen cameras and didn't like any of them? And
you've never taken a loss on the resale of even one? That's remarkable. When
you figure gain or loss do you take inflation or the time value of money
into account? To sell a $500 camera at no loss say ten years after the
purchase would require that it appreciate to roughly $800 - $1000 in value.
Not many cameras do that. But if all 12 of yours have then I congratulate
you, you're a very astute buyer of camera equipment.

But what's more intriguing is the question of why you have such apparent
difficulty figuring out in advance of a camera purchase whether you'll like
it or not. I mean buying at least 12 cameras only to discover after the
purchase that you disliked all of them is a bit unusual, wouldn't you say?

Right now that isn't going to happen with a digicam. Just a
fact, sorry if you don't like it.

I haven't said anything about my likes or dislikes of resale values. What
I've said is that I don't worry about resale values of cameras because I buy
them to use, not to sell. But then if I had a history of buying at least a
dozen cameras and then finding out that I didn't like any of them I'd
certainly share your concern. In fact if I didn't have a better grasp than
that on what cameras would be suitable for my needs I might think about
finding another interest.

"Stacey" wrote in message
BEllis60 wrote:

Of course they don't. If they did, all these people wouldn't be buying
digicams, that's kinda the point don'tcha think?

Actually the point is that most people buy photography equipment to use
it. They don't share your obsession with what it can be sold for five,
ten, or twenty years down the road.

Then why would you even read a thread about the subject? ;-)

It's not an "obcession", it's just nice to be able to sell something I
don't use as much as I used to or thought I would and be able to buy
something I will use with the money. Like my 6X9 baby graphic. It looked
like an interesting camera but proved to be too much of a hassle for the
quality, so I sold it and used the money to buy something I would use, a
couple of lenses for my 4X5. It is about -using- gear and not being forced
to continue to use -something- that is substandard because it's also now
worthless to anyone else. I've bought at least a dozen cameras over the
years that I found out later I didn't really like and was able to sell

then
with no loss. Right now that isn't going to happen with a digicam. Just a
fact, sorry if you don't like it.

--

Stacey