Old August 4th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Newbie asks how to focus on subject and blur background

wrote:
I have a Canon S3 digital. I just want to take some portrait type
shots with the subject in focus and background fuzzy. I have looked
through the guidebook but fooling around with the camera settings so
far hasn't worked. Can someone help me here? Thanks.

In general, use the widest aperture setting you can, and that should
make the depth of field minimum. You may have to use a different lens
from the one that came with the camera to get what you want.