Old August 4th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

Default Newbie asks how to focus on subject and blur background

wrote

I have a Canon S3 digital. I just want to take some portrait type
shots with the subject in focus and background fuzzy. I have looked
through the guidebook but fooling around with the camera settings so
far hasn't worked. Can someone help me here? Thanks.

You need to set the camera into Aperture Priority mode ( Av on
the dial on the top) and then select a low F value when taking
the shot. This will keep your subject in focus but blur what's
behind them but you'll probably need to experiment with exactly
what F value you need to get the results you want. It will help
if there is a significant gap between your subject and whatever
is behind them because the further away the background is
the less chance there is of the camera managing to get a focus
on it when the F value is low.

Chris