Old August 4th 15, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Will I regret keeping a good camera in my trunk?

On 2015-08-04 04:05:04 +0000, Bill W said:

When I buy a new camera body, the previous one ends up in a closet. It
crossed my mind to put a walkaround lens on an earlier body, and throw
it in the trunk of my car, so I always have a decent camera with me -
one that is good in low light. But it gets hot around here, and the
car could end up sitting in the sun in 110 degree heat. Does anyone
know if this can cause a problem? I'm mainly talking about the
possible volatilization of materials inside the camera or lens that
could end up leaving a film on the sensor, or on the inside of the
lens. Anyone have any idea if there is a risk of that?

I don't think there's a risk of any other heat damage.

You are probably better off keeping it in a cheap soft bag (I have a
number of those) which will provide a degree of insulation. Then rather
than keeping it in the trunk, put that bag on the floor behind the
passenger seat. That way it is reasonably afforded some protection from
temperature extremes, and it is easily reachable from within the car.
You can also cover it with a towel or small blanket which will provide
an additional insullating layer

Savageduck