Old June 15th 13, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Help!! Looking Manual (or Auto) 12-14mm Fisheye full format 35mm lowest F# possible

On 2013-06-15 09:25:16 -0700, said:

I can find the Nikkor 14mm f2.8 but I'd REALLY like something with fair
to excellent image quality (point spread OK) AND a low F# ... lower
than 2.8. HELP!?? Vintage lenses OK.

Why do you need a "fish-eye" faster than f/2.8?

The Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 is not a "fish-eye" it is an ultra-wide angle
lens. There is more to a "fish-eye" lens than just being a wide angle.
Typically the idea is to capture a 180 degree field of view and that is
usually attained by a combination specialized lens construction
imparting a spherical distortion beyond that imparted by an ultra-wide
angle. I seriously doubt that you will find a "fish-eye" lens faster
than a f/2.8 as it is not usually needed.

Nikon has two dedicated "fish-eye" lenses, one DX & one FX.

The Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8 is their current DX "fish-eye" offering. Their
FX "fish-eye" is the 16mm f/2.8.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...%252F2.8D.html

There are several other dedicated "fish-eye" offerings such as this one
from Tokina.
http://www.tokinalens.com/tokina/pro...afdxnhfisheye/

Savageduck