Old March 14th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Noise: digital or analogue?

On 3/13/2010 1:05 PM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

Anton Shepelev wrote:

Could an expert here tell me origin of
the color noice on the referred photo?

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2010/grain.png

It's a fragment of a scanned photo (slide film), and
I'd like to know whether it is scanner noice or film
grain. The noice I am taking about is best seen on the
women's T-Shirt.

looks like dirt in the emulsion.

Ackshooly, the woman's T-shirt looks OK to me: there's what looks like
dirt everywhere else that's lighter. Is this the "noise" you're
referring to? In that case, I think it's just dirt, not noise.

You may need to clean the slide before rescanning it.

- a Usenet "apology"