Old April 28th 09, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken[_5_]

Default Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather

"Deep Reset" wrote in message

"Ken" wrote in message

"Ken" wrote in message
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light
sometimes have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject
in frame. I was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or
bigger LCD screen but only if I feel convinced they are better to use
outside. Whats the point in having to guess the shot???

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

Ken

Thanks you to you all for helping with this.

Coincidently we had a friend stay this weekend who had a Paznasonic FZ18
so was able to make comparisons with my Nikon. It does prove the modern
cameras LCD can be viewed in bright conditions. But it also proved that I
don't want to carry this size of camera around. So I am now looking for
smaller like the Panasonic TZ5 or TZ4 but the drawback is no viewfinder
but good zoom. The Canon G10 looks perfect but I haven't go that sort of
budget £400!!! Half that at most :-)

So 28mm, viewfinder, image stabilisation, £200 max and I will start
looking at Dpreview unless anyone shouts with suggestions. I see Sony DSC
W170 looks interesting and wonder if anyone has any experience of this
camera?

Ken

Secondhand G9 *almost* fits the bill (not quite wide enough).

If money was no problem this would be my idea of the right camera - well the
G10

Ken