Old November 24th 03, 04:14 PM
Toke Eskildsen

Default Rule of Thirds?

Angela M. Cable wrote:

I don't know. I really don't understand the math behind it. I can
see though that if your initial rectangle isn't pretty close to a
Golden Ratio, there's going to be problems dividing it down.

That depends on your way of dividing.

To switch cases, consider a very wide image. The PSPPower method
indicates that the main points of interest should be very near the
outer edges. That sounds a bit strange to me.

I'm more of a right-brainer that's pretty good at explaining
right-brained stuff to left-brained people :-) My background is
actually in fine art rather than anything technical.

It should come as no surprise that I'm more of a left-brainer.

[Snip Okay to use the Golden Section on non-golden rectangles]

As your rectangle becomes more of a square (a special case of a
rectangle), the section becomes more skewed towards the center until
finally when the rectangle is a true square the section is dead
center.

That's right for his method, but not for the Rule of Thirds or the
standard Golden Section. If {--------------} represent one side of a
square, we have

{-------|-------} Mathematical center
{-----|---|-----} the Golden Section
{----|-----|----} the Rule of Thirds

Mathematically it makes sense, but I don't know if it works
aesthetically for a square image.
--
Toke Eskildsen - http://ekot.dk/