Old August 5th 15, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Inexplicably, Nikon, known for rapacious lens prices releasesa cheap 200-500mm f/5.6

On 8/4/2015 8:28 PM, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 16:58:36 UTC-4, Me wrote:
On 04/08/2015 17:06, RichA wrote:
$1400? How? If it turns out to be good, it'll be the biggest bargain they've offered.

Rumour is Tamron might have built it. I sure hope not. If they release a 24mp D400 and this lens, it would be a wildlife shooter's dream. Compact and powerful.

Fantastic and about time.
Isn't the Nikkor 10-24 DX lens made by Tamron?
Perhaps Tamron (& Sigma) proved another point - that optically very good
long "consumer" zooms can be made at a much lower price point than
anybody expected.

I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or Sigma long-range zoom.

I tested Sigma and Tamron. Spent about two hours with each, and was not
satisfied with either. Some folks have been very happy with them. But
since I have the Nikon 80-499 and a 500 mirror. It was not worthwhile
for me to change.
YMMV

Nikon were really pushing it with their 80-400 AFS - with pro-level
pricing for something quite ordinary.

It was ridiculous. Most people made the point you just did.

I'd be surprised if the 200-500
is any worse in build quality, weather sealing etc.
It's a great time for Nikon DSLR owners.

No weather sealing, but the thing doesn't look like a 70-300mm either.

--
PeterN