Old March 6th 04, 02:35 AM
Gregory W Blank

Default In-minilab cropping?

I shoot parties with a couple of rangefinders. I like rangefinders
because of their fast accurate focus and high speed flash sync. But
I've found that my composition suffers from parallax. I was wondering
if there was a minilab machine out there where you could crop the image
before the print is made. This would correct 90% of my problems, which
are mostly silly objects and halves of people's faces making their way
into the frame. I've never worked in a minilab but I have a hunch that
this feature is resident on some of the machines out there. Enlarger
cropping fifty 4"x6" prints is not an option. I only go to 8"x10" on
about 1% of my prints anyway.
Thanks in advance for any info.

That will depend on how tolerent they are,
though some maybe better as a result of the economy & the need for $
most I suspect will:

1) Play dumb
2) Say its not pssible.

Some labs have video analyzation on their processor lines
which enable this to be done. My wedding lab does, but they cater
to a specific type of printing "weddings".
--
LF website
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank