Old September 30th 18, 11:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Sneezing fallow buck photo 'one-in-a-million shot'

On 29/09/2018 18:44, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

7.5 trillion photos in one year is over 20 billion photos taken per day.

they estimate 8.8 billion photos in 2018, or 24 billion per day.

Thanks for that. I'm not too unhappy to be only out by a factor of 20.

Particularly as the "upload to google photos" will almost all be from
people who have ticked the box, which is something I am very reluctant
to do. I've probably got a terabyte or so on my NAS and other external
drives, and I don't at the moment fancy paying the current commercial
rates for that (obviously it is going to come down).

there is no monetary cost for google photos.

Even for a terabyte? I'd be surprised if that would be free for 100
million users. (I don't know how much compression they apply).

one thing online services offer that nases normally do not is being
able to access any photo from anywhere. you don't need to also have
copies on your phone and laptop. another is offsite backup.

Oh yes I am sold on the cloud for things like calendars, contacts, and
even email.

it's possible to set up outside access to one's own nas, but making
sure it's secure is non-trivial, plus most apps aren't designed to link
to it anyway.

Agree; certainly too much trouble for me. But it's nice to be able to
pick up photos straight through the wifi on the smart TVs.